[SOLVED] RAM speed dropped from 2666mhz to 2400 mhz after installing it ?

crunchraven

Honorable
Nov 19, 2014
Hello guys.

I have the Asus tuf gaming laptop fx505GD which has stock Ram of 8gb @ 2666mhz.

I bought a crusial ram 8gb @2666mhz.

Suddenly, when i installed the new ram, sto capasity went to 16gb, but tank manager says that speed fell down to 2400. Why this happened?

Also another strange thing is that task manager says that my laptop has occupied 2 of 4 slots, when my laptop has 2 out of 2 slots occupied.

Solution
If BIOS of your laptop is the same as Asus TUF FX505DT, then there doesn't seem to be any options for changing DRAM parameters.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxUK4QCKKDM

If you want max compatibility between your ram modules, then you should be buying dual channel memory kit instead.
Dual Channel kit means - 2 identical modules that have been tested for working together by manufacturer.
when i installed the new ram, sto capasity went to 16gb, but tank manager says that speed fell down to 2400. Why this happened?
Can you show screenshots from CPU-Z - memory and spd sections?
(upload to imgur.com and post link)

Also another strange thing is that task manager says that my laptop has occupied 2 of 4 slots, when my laptop has 2 out of 2 slots occupied.
This is normal. Ignore.
Chipset of the board supports dual channel memory configuration with 2 modules per channel.
Laptop manufacturer simply has not implemented option to have 4 ram modules. Usually because of available space constraints.

crunchraven

Honorable
Nov 19, 2014
Hello dear friend and thank you for the quick reply.

This is normal. Ignore.
Chipset of the board supports dual channel memory configuration with 2 modules per channel.
Laptop manufacturer simply has not implemented option to have 4 ram modules. Usually because of available space constraints.
So it wont affect anything on the performance right?

Can you show screenshots from CPU-Z - memory and spd sections?
(upload to imgur.com and post link)
I will do it later today cause i am at work right now. To be honest i havent checked anything on CPU-Z but i will try. I am sure that i bought a ddr4 sodimm ram 8gb @2666mhz speed

So one module is Kingston, the other is Hynix (not Crucial).
They have different SPD table values.
You should be able to run them both at
frequency 2666mhz,
latencies 19-19-19-43,
DDR voltage 1.35V,
Command rate 1T.

Check available DRAM options in BIOS.
On laptops BIOS options can be very limited. If there are no DRAM options available, then you can't change anything.

Reactions: crunchraven

crunchraven

Honorable
Nov 19, 2014
On laptops BIOS options can be very limited. If there are no DRAM options available, then you can't change anything.
Indeed i have Asus TUF GAMING fx505GD, and i hanent seen any option like DRAM. Could you please check somewhere if i am missing anything?

If there isnt, i wont be able to run them at the same speed right? If i want something like that, i should buy a ram with the same latencies like Kingston or Hynix am i right?
Is there any big difference running 2666mhz or 2400mhz? Is it prefarable to stay like that, take out one ram so i can have 8GB with 2666mhz?
I am asking all these question for future upgrades.

If BIOS of your laptop is the same as Asus TUF FX505DT, then there doesn't seem to be any options for changing DRAM parameters.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxUK4QCKKDM

If you want max compatibility between your ram modules, then you should be buying dual channel memory kit instead.
Dual Channel kit means - 2 identical modules that have been tested for working together by manufacturer.

Solution