RAM Speed Question

yogman

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
Hello!

I have a Corsair Dominator (4GBs, 2 2GB sticks) at 1333 MHz.

Now, I want to install 2 more gigs, but do they have to be the same 133MHz speed? or can i use Two sticks at 1333 MHz and the other two sticks at, lets say 1600 MHZ?

PLEASE REPLY!!

thanks!

yogman

Solution

tecmo34

Administrator
You want either A) the same exact sticks, as your original or B) the same frequency, timings & voltage specs, as your original. This will give you the best chance for success. If you purchase the higher frequency RAM, it will run at the lower speeds anyways, so why waste the money??

yogman

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010

Ok, ill try to get 1333MHz but i could find the frequency when i was looking to get some more Corsair Dominator.

but IF i got a 1600 MHz to go along with my 1333MHz Would it be ok? I.E. Will it run fine?

These are great theoretical Q&A's, but first please post your MOBO and exact part-number Corsair that are installed.

There's more to this, Speed 1600 + 1333 {1333 be the speed you're stuck with}. In addition, there are concerns blending CAS speeds and worst Voltage - these disparities can lead to an unstable system.

Example:
1600 7-7-7-24 @ 1.65V
1333 6-7-7-24 @ 1.50V

Simply will not run or run unstable.

Best Practices:

Tested is memory the RAM Mfg has confirmed that worked on the particular MOBO in ADDITION to Certified RAM that the MOBO Mfg has confirmed & certified that works {XMP} listed RAM.

Types:

1. Certified RAM: MOBO Mfg {e.g. ASUS, GA, MSI, etc} tested and certified; including BIOS XMP recognized.

2. Tested RAM: RAM Mfg {e.g. Corsair,G.SKILL, Kingston, etc} tested and confirmed to work properly with a particular MOBO.

3. Pot Luck RAM: Seeing is believing, it is nearly impossible to know what RAM wiil or won't work. Further, OP's cannot determine which RAM to choose correctly 9/10 times. So telling the OP to "pick any RAM" is Poor Advice.

yogman

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
again with that..
are you getting some deal on the RAM or something.?
because even after numerous people try to tell you the same thing, your still bent on this 1600mhz.
are you planning to eventually move all the way up to 1600mhz.?
and to answer your question, yes it should work but run @ 1333mhz...
have you heard that before.

No, i really don't care about getting a 1600MHz, Its just i cant find 2 - 2gig sticks of corsair dominator 1333MHz but I would be happy to get some 133MHz.

yogman

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010

My MOBO is a P7P55D-E Pro, and I can get the part number if you really need it, but i would need to open my case and look at it.

Although, CPUz in not infallible it is the easiest way to determine RAM part-numbers and other useful info. D/L and install - http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

softwares-cpuz-05s.jpg

andrern2000

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2010

Your motherboard is very good. It can handle up to 2200 Mhz memory. Well, if you overclock your 1333 RAM ones to 1600, then there's a reason to buy 1600 Memory. Then the overall memory will run @1600.
Let me tell u something: You have COrsair Dominator 1333 Mhz right? Dominator series are expensive-known to have solid ability to be overclocked. Therefore, of course your 1333 Mhz Dominator can be overclocked to higher freq, maybe able to 1800 Mhz. 1600 Mhz is 90% sure thing.

@malmental: Well, Corsair has good memory controller, and good RMA and quality service. That's why they're also expensive. And, btw, r u a corsair hata? :p

andrern2000

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2010

No we don't mix different brand here. This dude has Dominator and plans to buy another Dominator. That's exact brand. But buying 1600 Mhz memory has got nothing to lose. The 1600 can still run at 1333.
Theoritically, 1333 and 1600 will overall run @1333, but this man's 1333 pair is Dominator, man. which is known to be able to get frequency higher than actual spec.

Well, now, how much is the price tag for the 1600? Difference price with 1333.

Quoting myself, "There's more to this, Speed 1600 + 1333 {1333 be the speed you're stuck with}. In addition, there are concerns blending CAS speeds and worst Voltage - these disparities can lead to an unstable system."

Let explain more, 1600 MHz say 9-9-9-24 will have different CAS timings running at 1333 MHz say 7-7-7-24, and then there's wasting money for 1600 MHz. Also, If the OP current RAM is 8-7-8-29 then you have to take the worst of each in the hope that even manhandling the speed/CAS/Voltage it "might" work. RAM is a finicky PITA

Next, Corsair Dominator X and Corsair Dominator Y - don't necessarily work together, and even different {Production runs} of the SAME EXACT Part-Number if mixed together won't necessarily work together and can easily cause all sorts of oddball behavior. <- I "beg" for someone to challenge me on that claim.

andrern2000

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2010

I'm not looking for debate man, the purpose is to help this dude finding his next memory buy.
But this dude's motherboard ASUS can handle up to 2200 Mhz, which means it's a good solid board that can handle instability. For 1600 Mhz the instability chance are very very small. For assurance, loose the timing to default 9-9-9-24 for 1333 Mhz. don't use 1333 Mhz timing 7-7-7-24.

andrern2000

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2010
"@lckeed: ..If I install the last DDR, it goes back and detect only 8gb or even 6 GB... That's the part I don't get...."

Well, it's flaky stick. One stick is bad and probably causes interruption to others so that when it's plugged in, it interrupts the others' work, downing the memory from 10 GB to 8-6 GB. @lckeed can just RMA it. But that's just simple as bad stick.

In the end, he even mixes Hynix with Mushkin, while when he put it all Mushkin it doesn't work??; It's even different brand and pose higher chance of incompatibility. But it works. So, I think it's the broken stick, and Corsair has always good life-time warranty to RMA it back and replace with another set.

No, at the end it was 100% Mushkin; same exact Part-Number, but different production run.

@lckeed - 1. "All 12GB of ram are Mushkin (6 X 2GB)" and 2. "layed down side by side, I noticed something. I had 3 module who were "greener" than the others."

The Solution was to keep the production Kits in their own Channel, in this case Hexa-Channel:

2/1/4/3/6/5 - Channel 1 = 1, 3, & 5 ; {OP/greener} Channel 2 = 2, 4, & 6.

andrern2000

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2010
No he uses Hynix and Mushkin mix in the end. He puts the 3 Mushkins back into the pocket.
So here flaky stick is probably in it. I see the he didn't test it one by one stick.

@lckeed
"No, here's my setup:
Actual Order from CPU left to right - 4/1/5/2/6/3
All 12GB of ram are Mushkin (6 X 2GB)
As we speak, I'm running with the #4 slot empty only.
I also have the original 6gb (3 X 2gb) Hynix memory on standby. I can do test with it if I want."

"JEEEZZ!! It workkk!!! loll During luch, I went home with the intention of pulling all the memory out and laying it on the floor. I did just that. When all the mushkin memory was layed down side by side, I noticed something. I had 3 module who were "greener" than the others. Actualy, the tint of the green plastic was not the same. And looking closely at each module, I found a couple small differences. But, they are the same brand, same model, same part number but they clearly are not the exact same thing. Long story short, the first 6gb I purshased is different from the second...

I tried to groupe them togueter on slot 1-2-3 for the "pale" one and 4-5-6 for the darker ones... It didn't worked. (This is all Mushkin)
Then, I pulled out my original Dell (Hynix) memory modules, I installed them in 1-2-3 and put a set of Mushkin in 4-5-6 --- BINGO!! Computer booted and windows now detect the full 12GB (This time he puts 3 Hynix and 3 Mushkin)!!

Hope it's gona stay that way!! THX for the help guys! Now I have a set of Mushkin 6gb for sale!!! lol "
====

Things about different color: Maybe the shop has warmer temperature when storing the item, causing the color to fade some and have 'saturation'.

^ Yes, and then via PM:

jaquith
"You noted the "lot" differences in the Mushkin - separate them by channel {as stated above}; should be distinguish by color, or per Dell 4/1/5/2/6/3"
lckeed
"Dell is weird, with 4/1/5/2/6/3 and I did finally got the Mushkin using the same idea. I guess I didn't understand about channels as you pointed out. However, since I got it to work I'm sending them back if it keeps working. I understand what you are saying. Who would have thought this would be so damn hard."

The PM and the post was all about mixing DDR, Channel separation, Production, and in particular oddities.

andrern2000

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2010
chest bump mate keep it up.

Well, mixing DDR, I'm going to experiment mixing Hynix chip memory with my A-Data tonight. I'll tell the result tomorrow. Channel separation, well, likewise, is differentiated with memory bank's color. I don't quite know about production and particular oddities.
As far as I know, about production is concerned with a matter of faulty. Yes, it's sometimes kinda hard to tell if the problem caused by hardware faulty production. Because in real life can also be others' causes, like mobo compatibility.
About particular oddities I never compare it physically for each integrated components and ICs, number of transistors planted, so I can't tell much..

I'm holding only to normally, generally, principally, all is working well at same speed and same timing, regardless of brands. Voltage maybe different, pick the upper one, say, 1.9v and 2.0v, pick 2.0v one. It is best to never mix memory types, however many people do. Just how much it causes them problems can be hard to determine as it is hard to identify a crash as being caused by a memory problem.

If you go ahead and add a different type of memory then you should run a memory test utility such as memtest86 http://www.teresaudio.com/memtest86/ for several complete passes, then run a stress testing program such prime95 for a while and make sure your system is running clean.

^ For some reason, you're harping on one issue. After another 1000 post or more and after you've actually seen what works, doesn't work, should work, etc ---> you will come to realize {Best Patrice} Simpler = best & {Trial by Error} Odd = worst.

EASY WAY:
Therefore, choice 1 - MOBO Certified {tested & know it works + XMP "auto" settings}; choice 2 - RAM Mfg {Tested & know it works}

HARD WAY:
yeah - 240 pin, ahh 1600 MHz & 1333 MHz, 1.5 V and mix-in 1.65V, hmm CAS 7-7-7-24 & CAS 9-9-7-24. Now maybe that "can" work, but what pain in the rear. You'd have to settle for 1333 Mhz, 9-9-9-7-24 (there's more timing but trying to keep it plausible), attempt over volt one and under volt the other --- just to keep it stable. === dumb!

I am not saying that you cannot "mix & match" memory, but what I am CLEARLY saying - why go through useless motions flipping a coin. Memory is touchy enough without the added problems.

andrern2000

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2010
So called-HARD WAY: I mean this:
1600 Mhz - 9-9-9-24 1.55v
1600 Mhz (OC from 1333) - 9-9-9-24 1.6v
Sure, according to JEDEC standard the safe play will be 1333 Mhz. But to achieve 1600 Mhz is mostly easy nowadays, unlike in the past due to better Mb memory controller.

Because of diff voltage, give both 1.6v to prevent instability. Better to top it up than undervolt.

dur_trix

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
If you want good advice... dont mix ram... it always ends with a restarting machine, and BSOD...

Buy the exact memory modules that match in speed, voltages and latencies... and there will be guaranteed success.

If you mix brands, speeds and voltages it always end badly.....

yogman

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
no definitely not a corsair hater. i love their psu's. never had corsair RAM though.
anyways, I just wonder why he was so bent on just corsair.
I'm kind of old school, just give me good old reliable kingston RAM..

I want corsair because I already have 4 gigs installed, so i just want 4 more, I dont want to have to buy 8 gigs of some other brand....

TRENDING THREADS