Question RAM speed questions

Sep 16, 2021
Hi, new to posting here, but have been reading for years. Recently last night a friend of mine mentioned how he didn't have his XMP/DOCP profile set up for his memory, and how doing so increased his frequency speeds; which led to higher frames in CSGO (game we play together.) I checked my bios and saw that my DDR4 itself was running at 2133MHz, to which I turned on my DOCP settings.

After some testing, I ended up realizing my mobo (asus b450-f ROG) only takes higher speed memory in the secondary slots, so I switched those around and due to my ignorance and forgetting to reset my bios before changing ram slots, I ultimately had to take my mobo's battery out/in for a hard reset. That fixed my issues and I was able to boot up, and then fix the DOCP setting in my bios afterwards.

MY main question/concern though, is that my DOCP profile automatically set the speed of my memory (Corsair LPX 8GBx2 3600) TO 3600 which is the maximum speed it offers, but according to the product page of my mobo, it only support speeds up to 3200 MHz. Am I still getting the maximum performance I can out of my memory?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Motherboard supports 3600, listed in specs, but depending on processor, achieving 3600 or higher may be difficult where some had to settle for 3400 on Ryzen 2600 for example without going extremes. Newer gen cpus make it easier. What's your cpu?

Ryzen's cpu design relies on ram speed to communicate between chiplets inside using infinity fabric so faster ram means faster processing and with that brings more performance including higher fps margins since the cpu is responsible for providing the gpu frames before rendering.

Regarding dimm slots, 2nd and 4th from cpu are the primaries and correct slots to use for xmp/docp. 1st/3rd slots can limit or prevent xmp/docp from running if these were populated instead.

Sep 16, 2021
Hey guys thank you for the quick responses! My current cpu is a Ryzen 5 3600, I haven’t really touched any OC’ing on it. My bios reads it at 3600mhz as well and on CPU-z it usually fluctuates from 3600-4199