[SOLVED] Ram speed,size whats better to chose?

Matoo69

Honorable
Jan 22, 2017
So now i have 2x4gb ddr3 1866mhz and i want to buy ram 2x8gb but 1333mhz

what is better size or speed? And will 2x8gb improve performance? Or must buy and better speed? Ty

Solution
Enough ram trumps all.
Once you have enough, whatever that is, then faster ram is good.
Intel is not much dependent on ram speeds for performance.
Extra ram, more than you need will be used to hold unused code, making it available for instant reuse.
Look at resource manager, memory tab. Look for the hard fault page rate. If it is more than zero, you need more ram.
Enough ram trumps all.
Once you have enough, whatever that is, then faster ram is good.
Intel is not much dependent on ram speeds for performance.
Extra ram, more than you need will be used to hold unused code, making it available for instant reuse.
Look at resource manager, memory tab. Look for the hard fault page rate. If it is more than zero, you need more ram.

Solution

Endre

Reputable
So now i have 2x4gb ddr3 1866mhz and i want to buy ram 2x8gb but 1333mhz

what is better size or speed? And will 2x8gb improve performance? Or must buy and better speed? Ty

Hello!

In this case, more RAM is far more important than faster RAM.

But, before anything, please make sure that your motherboard supports the new kit!
Please check out the qualified vendor list!

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
Size is more important that speed, until you hit 16GB, then speed is more important than adding more.

With 8GB, you will be waiting a long time for assets to load in modern games, and you will frequently see stutters when new assets are loaded into RAM mid-game
With 16GB, you will load all of the assets the game needs in the loading screen, and there would not be any need to load assets mid-game. This is because games are optimised for 16GB right now, since that is what the major consoles have. It will be a very long time before 32GB becomes the optimisation target, maybe 5 years or more, once the PS6 is out.

However, 1333Mhz is pretty slow for a modern system. Assuming you have 16GB is both cases, then the difference in games between 1333Mhz and 1866Mhz is about 20% framerate on an AMD system, so can be the difference between 45-50FPS and rock-solid 60FPS locked to the refresh rate of your monitor:

The difference in price is not large, so I would definitely recommend getting 2x8GB 1866Mhz or 2133Mhz if you have an AMD CPU.
If you have Intel then 1333Mhz would be fine.