[SOLVED] RAM speed vs PCIe 4 SSD on RTX 3000

dapogs

Reputable
Oct 24, 2016
With the new RTX 3000 series and their NVIDIA’s new RTX IO, what will be the use of a faster RAM if it loads game assets directly to GPU memory from the system’s SSD storage? I'm asking because I'm stuck into upgrading to a faster RAM (currently at 3200mhz CL16 on 3900x) or to a PCIe 4 SSD (currently on PCIe 3 NVMe on 3900x). Or will it have any benefit (if any at all) upgrading over to what i already have?

Solution
I wouldn't do either really.
Faster RAM won't actually help in this process at all... data will be sent from your SSD to your GPU and stored on your GPU VRAM instead of system memory.

There's still nothing announced about compatibility between DirectStorage and PCIe Gen 3 SSDs.

Gen4 SSDs prices are really high for what's really an insignificant difference in day to day use. Yeah sure... loading games will be faster on the Gen4(if DirectStorage is not supported on Gen3), but loading a game from an NVMe, even with the traditional way, will still be fast.
Faster RAM won't actually help in this process at all... data will be sent from your SSD to your GPU and stored on your GPU VRAM instead of system memory.

There's still nothing announced about compatibility between DirectStorage and PCIe Gen 3 SSDs.

Gen4 SSDs prices are really high for what's really an insignificant difference in day to day use. Yeah sure... loading games will be faster on the Gen4(if DirectStorage is not supported on Gen3), but loading a game from an NVMe, even with the traditional way, will still be fast.

Reactions: dapogs
Solution

dapogs

Reputable
Oct 24, 2016

yeah, i thought so. I didn't want to spend needlessly. I might just wait until gen4 ssd prices drop.

If you have 3200mhz CL16 I see little point in upgrading your RAM. We don’t really know anything about RTX IO as neither Windows or games support it yet from what I read. I also would not expect many games to start using it, game devs would need to invest time in something that a small percentage of gamers can use until NVMe becomes more common.

Reactions: dapogs

TRENDING THREADS