Question Ram speed with 4 sticks on a Ryzen 3600/B450 at 3200mhz

Dec 26, 2020
Hello all, I have a question in regards to running a 4 sticks of 3200mhz on a Ryzen3600.

I've recently built a new rig and the old system I used to run was using 1866mhz ram so I'm new to the whole set speed/timings for ram, I just know theres a xmp profile you can enable on the board.
The specs on the AMD website show a Ryzen3600 can run ram at 3200Mhz which at the time I was going to go with 2 sticks but decided to move to 4 for 32Gb but then I encountered occasional games acting jank at times.
I backed my ram speed from 3200mhz to 2933mhz and it seems much more stable while gaming. The volts from what my Pc is currently showing is they are running at 1.2v
I don't get full on pc crashes, I just get games acting stuttery and random.

I guess my real question is, "will this setup work at 3200mhz" or "would I gain much more from running 2x16gb @ 3200mhz instead". I wish to keep my pc running 32Gb's total.
Also a side question is does upping the voltage wear the Cpu out faster? I never really found any topics on google about this and was hoping someone could shed some light.

My rig as it is currently:
MSI B450 Gaming Max Plus
Ryzen 3600
4x 8Gb 3200Mhz Corsair Vengeance
(CMK16GX4M2B3200C16) (I also checked that they all matched)
RTX 2060s Asus Strix
RM850X psu

Thankyou for your time.

RAM speeds above 2400 usually require a higher voltage than base 1.2V - the XMP profile should set it automatically when selecting a RAM overclock profile, but if you only set the speed it will stay at 1.2.
First, make sure that you're using a AXMP or RAM overclock or DOCP or EOCP profile - voltage should have jumped to 1.35V. Try again - if you get another crash after a few minutes at full load, try manually upping the RAM voltage by 0.01 V.

Dec 26, 2020
RAM speeds above 2400 usually require a higher voltage than base 1.2V - the XMP profile should set it automatically when selecting a RAM overclock profile, but if you only set the speed it will stay at 1.2.
First, make sure that you're using a AXMP or RAM overclock or DOCP or EOCP profile - voltage should have jumped to 1.35V. Try again - if you get another crash after a few minutes at full load, try manually upping the RAM voltage by 0.01 V.

I went back into the bios last night and ensured the correct volts were running with the xmp profile and before I called it a night I had the pc run windows memory diagnostic, it didn't seem to show any errors but shes still running not so smooth unlike having her set to 2933, I wonder if swapping to 2x16gb would be overall less headache and more gain in terms of performance at this rate.

I went back into the bios last night and ensured the correct volts were running with the xmp profile and before I called it a night I had the pc run windows memory diagnostic, it didn't seem to show any errors but shes still running not so smooth unlike having her set to 2933, I wonder if swapping to 2x16gb would be overall less headache and more gain in terms of performance at this rate.
Yes, using only one IMC is much easier to have higher RAM frequency.

If you use only one IMC then you're disabling dual channel, which kills performance on Zen (all versions). Reducing RAM frequency may be needed on some motherboards due to bad traces, check supported speeds on the mobo maker's support page for this RAM kit.
I meant only 2 channels of IMC.

For AMD Ryzen Gen3 (R5/R7/R9)
  • Supports 2667/ 2800/ 2933/ 3000/ 3066/ 3200/ 3466/ 3733/ 3866/ 4000/4133 MHz (by A-XMP OC MODE)
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/B450-GAMING-PLUS-MAX/Specification

Dec 26, 2020
I meant only 2 channels of IMC.

For AMD Ryzen Gen3 (R5/R7/R9)
  • Supports 2667/ 2800/ 2933/ 3000/ 3066/ 3200/ 3466/ 3733/ 3866/ 4000/4133 MHz (by A-XMP OC MODE)
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/B450-GAMING-PLUS-MAX/Specification

The original reason I had picked this board in particular was it could run my desired speed as well as higher speeds but I didn't look at the support page for DIMM's.
I know even if the manufacturer doesn't say its been checked means it doesn't work but at the same time I looked up videos and whatnot to see if 4 sticks were better than 2 and to a degree they are but there's also talk that 3rd gen Ryzen doesn't like it.

The original reason I had picked this board in particular was it could run my desired speed as well as higher speeds but I didn't look at the support page for DIMM's.
I know even if the manufacturer doesn't say its been checked means it doesn't work but at the same time I looked up videos and whatnot to see if 4 sticks were better than 2 and to a degree they are but there's also talk that 3rd gen Ryzen doesn't like it.
There is that; also, other manufacturers give more details as to what speeds are supported depending on the amount of banks filled. For example, a 3200 kit is supported at its top speed if a single or 2 DIMMs in dual channels are used, but drop to 2666 if all 4 banks are filled and even as low as 2133 if 4 banks in dual ranks are used.
Getting those to actually work at 3200 is a double overclock, in essence - so you may want to overvolt the RAM a bit and improve cooling.

Reactions: CountMike
Dec 26, 2020
I've been running games for a few hours and I've managed to achieve results that I didn't think this pc was able to do, I had a friend compare their 2x16gb 3200 to my 4x8gb 3200 and it seems mine performs higher and I think feels stable, I'm not truly convinced it is stable but I was considering using that timing table app I've seen on youtube where it calculates the correct timings for my setup.

I'm curious tho, even tho the gap is small, would 2 sticks contribute less heat as to 4 sticks?

My 4x8.
PdIIvxJ.png

Friends 2x16
fwA64Om.png