Ram stay lit even after PC is unplugged from the wall?

Aug 26, 2018
Hello,

So I have never experienced this issue in all my 15 years building PCs, but when I power down my desktop the RAM stays lit up even after I completely unplug it from the wall. I have searched everywhere and can’t find anything on the issue, any help would me much appreciated!

PC specs:
•MSI X370 SLI Plus Mobo
•Ryzen 5 1600 OC to 3.9 GHz
•Patriot Viper Elite 8GB x 2 CL19 3200 MHz White LED RAM
•Asus Rog Strix GTX 1080ti
•Samsung 960 Evo 240GB M.2
•Samsung 860 Evo 240GB SSD
•Western Digital Black 1TB HHD
•Thermaltake 800 SmartPro RGB PSU
•Full custom CPU water loop

After you unplug it, push start button for few seconds, that should discharge any capacitors in the PSU and on MB. Modern LEDs are very energy efficient and can stay on long time. PSU has a very large capacitor at the final output side and can hold electricity for very long time.

Aug 26, 2018
That’s exactly the first thing I tried. The PC has now been turned off and unplugged for about 7 hours and the LED RAM is still lit up...? I don’t understand. I even pulled the CMOS battery, but don’t way to remove the RAM if it’s still active.

Only power that may be left after unplugging main is by +5v on violet wire from PSU to 24 pin connector. PSU has by far largest electrolytic capacitor at final stage but it's supposed to discharge after shutdown. If it doesn't, there must be something wrong. When I open a PSU I always short PSU power input because it can pack a good wallop.

Aug 26, 2018
The RAM is literally still lit..? 3 days later? Is this magic? Are there CAPs that never discharge? But if a CAP is not discharging wouldn’t run the light force it to discharge? Can I safely remove the PSU 8pin and 24pin from mobo without causing damage?

Aug 26, 2018
I do not want to remove RAM while in a powered state. Can cause corruptions in data. And I know it’s not magic, I have been an IT professional in the enterprise realm for about 15 years now and have never came across this issue.

zebarjadi.raouf

Commendable
Jul 10, 2018
And I know it’s not magic
Just joking. ;)
I do not want to remove RAM while in a powered state
I'm pretty sure the LED and the RAM power source bypass each other. So, only the LED is on, not the RAM.
Can cause corruptions in data
Don't worry. A powered off PC doesn't have data stored inside the RAMs.
about 15 years now
LED and RGB, especially for RAM, became popular recently. Some manufacturers (mostly chinese gaming stuff) have put a small built-in battery for powering LED too. Should charge itself each time the PC starts.
IT professional in the enterprise realm
Hmm, you don't seem experienced with PC building as I sense some sort of anxiety. My friend (Server + IT) had to take multiple diagnosis and repair courses when he was studying so I thought you know the basics. If you're too worried, call Patriot support or take it to the repair shop.

Aug 26, 2018
Lol I’m not on here to argue with anyone, just to simply present a issue that I myself have not personally came across. If you do not have any useful information to contribute then I would just rather you not contribute at all.

zebarjadi.raouf

Commendable
Jul 10, 2018
Shut down the PC. Take out the RAM. See if the light turns off after a while.

Or call Patriot Memory support.

That's all I'll contribute to this thread for now. Have a nice day. ;)

zebarjadi.raouf

Commendable
Jul 10, 2018
The OP said he disconnected power cables + tried discharging the pc, yet the lights won't turn off no matter what.

I was trying to find out if it had any small built-in battery like some Chinese gaming RAMs that I saw on my last tour. Browsed Patriots PDF sheets too but found nothing worthwhile.

I think it's probably the PSU refusing to discharge those gigantic caps like you said.

Aug 26, 2018
And if the PC doesn’t want to discharge the giant CAPs then there is still power to the RAM and could possibly cause damage if removed. I sent a RMA to Patriot I will let you guys know what I find out

Aug 26, 2018
*Update* So when I disconnect my BenQ monitor connected via DP v1.3 from the back of my GTX 1080ti the lights on the RAM shut off.... any thoughts on what’s going on here?

That doesn't sound good. It sounds like either the PSU is either leaking electricity through your case/cables (i.e. improperly seated PSU/malfunctioning PSU respectively.) or the monitor is discharging or holding electricity through the HDMI cable and back into the case. In either case I would try:

Unplugging the monitor with the HDMI still plugged in. If all the lights go out in your motherboard, that probably means the monitor is defective. You don't want electricity coming from two directions.

Unplugging the PSU from the wall after turned off. This is 100% safe.

Hope this helps.

EDIT: Just realized you already tried disconnecting the PSU, so try the first one.

Aug 26, 2018
So what I have found is that when I disconnect my BenQ monitor from m display port 1.2 and plug in and HDMI cable instead, the problem is fixed, RAM lights shut off when PC powers down. So the DP cable was sending power from my monitor through my GTX 1080ti into the mobo and for some reason only powering the RAM LEDs when PC was powered off. This is very strange in my experiences, and not sure why it would do this. Anyone have an explanation of how or why this would be happening?