Question RAM stick 2133Mhz CL14 with 2400 Mhz CL15

Kevimuxx69

Prominent
Feb 20, 2019
Hi, I have an 8GB RAM module at 2133 Mhz CL14 and I wanted to buy another to have 16GB.
The problem is that they are no longer sold and those that I find are very expensive. I wanted to know if I can use a module of the same brand and everything but at 2400 Mhz CL15.
In case I need to do overclocks or increase the latency of one of the modules. Thanks <3

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
So firstly, we would never recommend mixing RAM modules. Manufacturers do not support mixed RAM modules as they have all potential to not work together. It doesn't mean they never work, just it's not recommended at all. Whether they are same make / model is irrelevant. Technically speaking, to guarantee working, they should be from the same pack.

Additionally, if you ran this in that channel, both of your RAM will operate at the lowest speed. So if you mixed a 2400 module with a 2133 one, BOTH will only operate at 2133. This logic will apply to ALL of your RAM timings. So you'd be technically downgrading your current RAM module speed, for an increased amount of RAM.

But again, there's no guarantee they will work together.

Reactions: Kevimuxx69