[SOLVED] Ram stick faulty?

Oct 9, 2020
Hello,

Cpu = ryzen 5 3600 @ 4.2
Ram = Corsair vengeance rgb pro 3600 cas 18
GPU = radeon rx 5700 xt
MOBO = Msi B450 gaming plus max

Ever since i build my own pc a few months ago i had some blue screens of death.
Last 3 days my pc has been crashing every few hours and sometimes several times in a row.
After running WINDOWS MEMORY DIAG, it says i got a hardware problem.
So i tested the 2 ramsticks one by one. with one stick either not even starting the pc or giving blue screen after few minutes.

Is the 1 ram stick faulty? or could something else cause this problem...
Also the ram runs at around max 50 degrees celsius under heavy gaming. Will this cause problems?

I have already bought new ram ( i can fit 4 anyway), and will return the other faulty ram soon.

Solution
Will this be a big problem? i have seen several people saying if you buy 2 difference packs but same memory sticks it will not be a problem.
It's a gamble.

Mixed modules are not guaranteed compatbility. It's not to say they never work, they often do, but it is technically a gamble. RAM is sold in packs for a reason.

it is usually fine, but it's not unheard of to have some instability.

I've had some where mixed RAM modules have simply gone wild when they've tried to overclock for example. But generally if they boot, you're theoretically fine.

You can actually buy 2 of the EXACT SAME MODEL RAM, but from 2 different packs, and they can (and have) not be compatible.

So does it not work all of the time? No, there are...

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
So you had issues
You ran Windows Memory Diagnostic, and it came out with errors.
You then repeated this one module at a time, and only ONE of the modules had errors?

in which case, yes the RAM stick is more than likely faulty and you need to return the pack.

Make sure when you get new RAM you don't mix different packs (if you bought one whole pack and one of those are faulty, I'd return the whole pack).

Oct 9, 2020
So you had issues
You ran Windows Memory Diagnostic, and it came out with errors.
You then repeated this one module at a time, and only ONE of the modules had errors?

in which case, yes the RAM stick is more than likely faulty and you need to return the pack.

Make sure when you get new RAM you don't mix different packs (if you bought one whole pack and one of those are faulty, I'd return the whole pack).

Yes correct, only 1 of the 2 sticks gives errors. I already bought the exact same memory sticks ( corsair vengeance rgb pro 3600) but its not gonna be the same package... Will this be a big problem? i have seen several people saying if you buy 2 difference packs but same memory sticks it will not be a problem.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Will this be a big problem? i have seen several people saying if you buy 2 difference packs but same memory sticks it will not be a problem.
It's a gamble.

Mixed modules are not guaranteed compatbility. It's not to say they never work, they often do, but it is technically a gamble. RAM is sold in packs for a reason.

I've had some where mixed RAM modules have simply gone wild when they've tried to overclock for example. But generally if they boot, you're theoretically fine.

You can actually buy 2 of the EXACT SAME MODEL RAM, but from 2 different packs, and they can (and have) not be compatible.

So does it not work all of the time? No, there are plenty of times where it does work.
But is it a gamble? Absolutely yes.

I spoke about it a bit in a guide on the forum where someone asked more about it: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...g-parts-for-a-custom-pc.3510178/post-21303071

Solution
Oct 9, 2020
It's a gamble.

So does it not work all of the time? No, there are plenty of times where it does work.
But is it a gamble? Absolutely yes.

I spoke about it a bit in a guide on the forum where someone asked more about it: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...g-parts-for-a-custom-pc.3510178/post-21303071

Alright then i will take a gamble i guess! The faulty sticks will go back to the shop and they will probably provide new sticks. Then i will gamble to check if the new sticks matches, maybe i cannot reach 3600 mh but i will take 3200 anyday if stable.

TRENDING THREADS