[SOLVED] RAM stick isn't recognized if both sticks are installed

morrisseyshair

Honorable
Mar 20, 2015
I gave my PC a cleaning. Replaced the thermal paste, etc. I have 2 RAM sticks, 8GB each. I took one out for no reason, put it back in and now either RAM stick isn't recognize by the motherboard if both are in at the same time.

I checked both sticks individually on each slot. Both sticks are recognized when only one is installed. All slots work when only one is installed. Now I get a black screen if I turn on the PC if both sticks are installed. I'm confused. They're a kit, G.Skill Ripjaws V series 16GB 2133mhz. The motherboard is ASUS Prime Z270-k.

I've been reading a lot about this problem from other people with this unfortunate problem with no solutions. Mine seems a little different since the sticks worked fine together before I did this. I don't know how I could have damaged anything. I'm thinking this is a software issue and I was thinking of resetting the BIOS to see if that would fix it but I'm wondering if you folks have any other solution.

Thanks for your time.

Last edited:
Solution
As you rightly said guessed, a good idea would be setting the BIOS "memory settings" values to default and set values to "Auto" wherever available. Or just set overall BIOS settings to default with either of the sticks inserted and restart the PC to shut it down after you get past the post to Windows login screen. Repeat the process for the other stick.
Now fire up with both the sticks inserted and the RAM latency, voltage frequency and timings should now match.

If this does not work, just take out the CMOS battery and put it back after 15-20 minutes to set the values of BIOS to default automatically.
I gave my PC a cleaning. Replaced the thermal paste, etc. I have 2 RAM sticks, 8GB each. I took one out for no reason, put it back in and now either RAM stick isn't recognize by the motherboard if both are in at the same time.

I checked both sticks individually on each slot. Both sticks are recognized when only one is installed. All slots work when only one is installed. Now I get a black screen if I turn on the PC if both sticks are installed. I'm confused. They're a kit, G.Skill Ripjaws V series 16GB 2133mhz. The motherboard is ASUS Prime Z270-k.

I've been reading a lot about this problem from other people with this unfortunate problem with no solutions. Mine seems a little different since the sticks worked fine together before I did this. I don't know how I could have damaged anything. I'm thinking this is a software issue and I was thinking of resetting the BIOS to see if that would fix it but I'm wondering if you folks have any other solution.

Thanks for your time.
Reset the bios by removing the CMOS battery for few seconds.

serioussamik17

Distinguished
As you rightly said guessed, a good idea would be setting the BIOS "memory settings" values to default and set values to "Auto" wherever available. Or just set overall BIOS settings to default with either of the sticks inserted and restart the PC to shut it down after you get past the post to Windows login screen. Repeat the process for the other stick.
Now fire up with both the sticks inserted and the RAM latency, voltage frequency and timings should now match.

If this does not work, just take out the CMOS battery and put it back after 15-20 minutes to set the values of BIOS to default automatically.

Solution
Reset the bios by removing the CMOS battery for few seconds.
A few seconds will not do it to clear CMOS. Capacitors need to be depleted. You should leave the CMOS battery out for ten mins or press the power button with battery out.
As it is Intel based MB then you may have over tightened the CPU retainer screws or bent pins in the MB socket if you did not tighten down correctly.
If you have removed your RAM then check they are seated well and also check for contamination with the slot. Use compressed air from a canister to blow out the slots and clean the DIMM terminals with Isopropyl Alcohol.

A few seconds will not do it to clear CMOS. Capacitors need to be depleted. You should leave the CMOS battery out for ten mins or press the power button with battery out.
As it is Intel based MB then you may have over tightened the CPU retainer screws or bent pins in the MB socket if you did not tighten down correctly.
If you have removed your RAM then check they are seated well and also check for contamination with the slot. Use compressed air from a canister to blow out the slots and clean the DIMM terminals with Isopropyl Alcohol.
I faced no problem keeping the battery out for 10sec, it worked just fine for me