Ram stick moving inside my Dell OptiPlex causing lock-ups and strange patterns

vkatsarelias

Reputable
Feb 11, 2018
I had a minor problem with my Dell OptiPlex GX270 SFF last year. One day, my little brother abruptly moved the PC during the POST BIOS check-up and it showed some strange patterns and locked up. Since I did not know that the RAM sticks were the cause, I disconnected and reconnected everything on the motherboard. The PC after that was OK; no problems appeared for a long time.

However, another time I opened the case for a check because I had an issue with Windows. After the repair (which was software-related), I closed the case & when it snapped back into place those patterns showed on the screen again. I searched for it and I found that this happens when a RAM stick is removed. After that, I was really cautious every time when I moved my PC.

Now, even with the slightest abrupt movement/placement, this happens & I have to set the PC as lightly and carefully as possible. In fact, after the last repair (some days ago, CD drive issue), I noticed that the RAM sticks are SUPER easy to move inside the DIMMs/slots; even the slightest movement disturbs them. They are so "wobbly" that even the CD drive ribbon cable moves the front stick. Believe it or not, I was so fed of this & I used toothpicks (lol) to stabilize both RAM sticks.

Thankfully this issue is fixed now & the sticks are stabilized. But toothpicks are not a professional fix. Can anyone help me?

vkatsarelias

Reputable
Feb 11, 2018

No, I don't think so. The sockets and the white plastic clips are OK. The only problem is that the system might require thicker RAM sticks.

vkatsarelias

Reputable
Feb 11, 2018

The motherboard is from Dell. But the computer was used and I bought it from a repair center, so I do not know if the previous user or the man at the repair center changed them. However, I do know one thing; the 1st stick is from Kingston and the 2nd isfrom another company, I don't remember the name.

vkatsarelias

Reputable
Feb 11, 2018

Your answer is OK, but I cannot find the person who sold me the PC. But, it's good now, I can move the system around without worrying about even the slightest abrupt positioning. Also, thanks for helping me out!

(P.S. Sorry that I delayed to answer. I had been out of Tom's Hardware for a period of time.)