[SOLVED] RAM stick not working anymore

Templim

Prominent
Jul 8, 2020
Hello, so I put in my 16gb of ram that came in a pack together 2 years ago and it was working fine for probably a year or so and I just realized it and im assuming its been a year that it hasnt been reading the two sticks properly. I tried taking both sticks out and using 1 and it'll either give be an error 53 or 79. I was thinking maybe one of the sticks were not working anymore and I tried moving the "working" one to another slot and im getting the error and my computer wont even boot at that point. I finally got my rams in the right spot again and my computer read both 16gbs for the first hour then my computer blue screened with a memory error and now only shows 8gbs again. I've always had them both 1 slot from each other for dual channeling.
-Thank you so much for taking your time of reading this!

I just tried to make sure both sticks were in all the way and I tried moving them again and my computer wouldnt boot up till I had 1 stick on the 2nd ram slot. I have both sticks in and the 1 stick in the 2nd slot and the other in the 4th slot and it just detects 1 stick in bios and when my computer boots up.

I tried using the one that I think wasnt working by its self on all slots and no boot up at all.
The "working" one ONLY worked on the 2nd slot of ram and the "nonworking" ram didnt work on any slot.

Specs:
msi gtx 1080
i7 5820k (with Cooler Master MasterLiquid 120 AIO CPU Liquid Cooler)
8x2 16gb ripjaw DDR4 2133
Asus x99 Pro motherboard
thermaltake 650W PSU

Last edited:
Solution
Three things need to work properly for your DRAM to work. The CPU contains the memory controller, the motherboard has the traces between the CPU and the sockets, and, of course , the DRAM modules.

How long has it been since you did preventive maintenance (PM) on this machine? It may just be time to clean out the muck and re-seat all the add on cards.

You haven't mentioned whether or not anything is overclocked. Two years seems a short time to wear anything out but if any of it is overclocked it is not out impossible to damage something.

What have your temperatures been like? You might want to redo your thermal paste also as part of the PM.

Otherwise, you might just try a new pair of DRAM modules.
Three things need to work properly for your DRAM to work. The CPU contains the memory controller, the motherboard has the traces between the CPU and the sockets, and, of course , the DRAM modules.

How long has it been since you did preventive maintenance (PM) on this machine? It may just be time to clean out the muck and re-seat all the add on cards.

You haven't mentioned whether or not anything is overclocked. Two years seems a short time to wear anything out but if any of it is overclocked it is not out impossible to damage something.

What have your temperatures been like? You might want to redo your thermal paste also as part of the PM.

Otherwise, you might just try a new pair of DRAM modules.

Solution