[SOLVED] RAM sticks with different speed, what do you suggest?

Jun 15, 2021
Hello,
I own a gaming PC with the following specs:
CPU: Intel i5-9600K
MoBo: Gigabyte Z390 GAMING X
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus, Samsung 850 Evo, Samsung 860 Evo
RAM: ADATA XPG SPECTRIX D41 kit 2x8GB 3000MHz PC4-24000 CL 16-18-18 1.35V
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2060 GAMING OC PRO 6G
PSU: Sharkoon SilentStorm Icewind 650W

I ordered from an online shop an identical set of RAM memory to increase the capacity and minimize costs and instability issues but they sent me the following kit:
ADATA XPG SPECTRIX D41 kit 2x8GB 3600MHz PC4-28800 CL 18-20-20 1.35V
What do you suggest to do at this point? What kind of issues would I have and how likely are them to cause problems?
The shop doesn't have the correct RAM at the moment. Thanks for any help you could provide.

MoBo specs:
  1. 4 x DDR4 DIMM sockets supporting up to 128GB (32GB single DIMM capacity) of system memory**
    ** Please note that the support for system total memory size depends on the CPU installed.
  2. Dual channel memory architecture
  3. Support for DDR4 4266(O.C.) / 4133(O.C.) / 4000(O.C.) / 3866(O.C.) / 3800(O.C.) / 3733(O.C.) / 3666(O.C.) / 3600(O.C.) / 3466(O.C.) / 3400(O.C.) / 3333(O.C.) / 3300(O.C.) / 3200(O.C.) / 3000(O.C.) / 2800(O.C.) / 2666 / 2400 / 2133 MHz memory modules
  4. Support for ECC Un-buffered DIMM 1Rx8/2Rx8 memory modules (operate in non-ECC mode)
  5. Support for non-ECC Un-buffered DIMM 1Rx8/2Rx8/1Rx16 memory modules
  6. Support for Extreme Memory Profile (XMP) memory modules
CPU specs:
  • Max Memory Size (dependent on memory type) 128 GB
  • Memory Types DDR4-2666
  • Max # of Memory Channels 2
  • Max Memory Bandwidth 41.6 GB/s
  • ECC Memory Supported ‡ No

Solution
A memory kit is a set of RAM modules specifically matched to work together in dual channel mode.

Check the RAM kit's specs against the RAM modules supported by your Gigabyte Z390 GAMING X .

You should be able to find the supported modules listed in the motherboard's User Guide/Manual and on Gigabyte's website.

Look for the QVL (Qualified Vendor's List).

If the delivered RAM is supported then all should be well barring some other problems.

If not supported the RAM may simply not work or not perform as expected.

In that case you will need to return the RAM and get the correct RAM kit.

Ralston18

Titan
A memory kit is a set of RAM modules specifically matched to work together in dual channel mode.

Check the RAM kit's specs against the RAM modules supported by your Gigabyte Z390 GAMING X .

You should be able to find the supported modules listed in the motherboard's User Guide/Manual and on Gigabyte's website.

Look for the QVL (Qualified Vendor's List).

If the delivered RAM is supported then all should be well barring some other problems.

In that case you will need to return the RAM and get the correct RAM kit.

Reactions: MeanMachine41
Solution
Jun 15, 2021
Thanks for your reply.
I have two kits that will be set on two dual channel slots.
Done, moreover I reported them above.
They are supported, moreover I will set all RAM modules to work on 3000MHz frequency with the XMP 1 profile.

Will the 3600MHz modules have a lower latency if I set them to operate at 3000Mhz? Which kit do I put on the primary slots on my MoBo?
And which tests can I conduct to verify that there are no instabilities? (memtest86 and MemTest 7.0?)

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply.

I have two kits that will be set on two dual channel slots.

Done, moreover I reported them above.

They are supported, moreover I will set all RAM modules to work on 3000MHz frequency with the XMP 1 profile.

Will the 3600MHz modules have a lower latency if I set them to operate at 3000Mhz? Which kit do I put on the primary slots on my MoBo?
And which tests can I conduct to verify that there are no instabilities? (memtest86 and MemTest 7.0?)
Put a copy of memtest86 on a flash stick.
Boot it up and make sure it runs.
Add the new ram to the empty slots.
See if it will boot memtest86.
If it does let it run it's 4 passes no errors allowed.

Jun 15, 2021
Put a copy of memtest86 on a flash stick.
Boot it up and make sure it runs.
Add the new ram to the empty slots.
See if it will boot memtest86.
If it does let it run it's 4 passes no errors allowed.
Thanks for your reply. I have already done it in the past.
What about the latency?

The difference in Latency will be your ongoing issue and the reason Modules are binned by the manufactures factory. Many try to match kits however the problem occurs when data is sent to a bank with different Latency and the system shuts down for no apparent reason. Mixing kits is a bad idea and usually done for budgetary reasons.
Return the Kits that you have and instead get a single kit the size and frequency the MB and CPU support. Select a kit from the MB QVL that are tested and known to work.
Even if they do work together they would run at the Lower frequency of the lower kit.
Save yourself from imminent frustration.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2021
The difference in Latency will be your ongoing issue and the reason Modules are binned by the manufactures factory. Many try to match kits however the problem occurs when data is sent to a bank with different Latency and the system shuts down for no apparent reason. Mixing kits is a bad idea and usually done for budgetary reasons.
Return the Kits that you have and instead get a single kit the size and frequency the MB and CPU support. Select a kit from the MB QVL that are tested and known to work.
Even if they do work together they would run at the Lower frequency of the lower kit.
Save yourself from imminent frustration.
Thanks for your reply.
The 3000MHz kit is the one I had before, obviously I didn't buy two different kits, that makes no sense when you can buy a 32GB set.
I have this 3000MHz 16GB kit and I ordered another identical kit for "budgetary reasons" but the shop sent me this 3600MHz kit instead.
I don't need a 3600MHz setup, all I wanted was a 3000MHz 32GB setup. The kits are identical apart from the frequency and latency.
Are you sure I will have issues? Even if the setup pass a memtest86?
I can still return the second kit and stick to my current setup.

Last edited:
My advice is to return what you have and get a single kit that are binned to match together.
Mixing kits with differing frequency and Latency is a NO NO and i'm sure you will have issues.
If you desire more RAM than what you have then select a 32GB kit that the MB and CPU support from the MB QVL that are tested and known to work.

Jun 15, 2021
My advice is to return what you have and get a single kit that are binned to match together.
Mixing kits with differing frequency and Latency is a NO NO and i'm sure you will have issues.
If you desire more RAM than what you have then select a 32GB kit that the MB and CPU support from the MB QVL that are tested and known to work.
Thanks for your reply and your clarity. I will follow your advice.