Question Ram stopped working after unplugged for a week

Jul 17, 2021
Hi all.
My memory and computer were working fine, i usually would just put it to sleep when not in use and reboot once a week or so. But then I went out of town and unplugged the computer. Came back and now when booting up I get the dreaded bios 1 long 2 short beeps.

I have already tried each stick individually in different slots (mostly the one they recommend but tried others too)
also tried clearing CMOS with both the jumper, and also taking out the battery.
I noticed the ram is not in the list of approved sticks. But it is well within the tolerances and worked for months. But I guess that could be it .. idk..

I am not sure what to do next. buy a new stick of ram? Flash bios? (Last update was 2012 which is about when I bought it) Something else?

ASUS P8Z68-V PRO https://www.asus.com/US/supportonly/P8Z68-V/HelpDesk_Manual/
Memory: 4x4g Kingston KVR13N9S8H/4 (DDR3 1333, 9-9-9 1.5V) https://www.kingston.com/dataSheets/KVR13N9S8H_4.pdf
each 4G stick is 8 chips so I guess that's 512M ea.

the only other odd thing is a long time ago about 6 months the computer sat in the closet and mice got inside (thru open expansion slots without covers) and got that grease they leave from their bodies all over. I cleaned it all with alcohol & cotton swabs. Mice all gone too. Tower box so they did not really walk on the MB and i replaced the video card as well anyway. And as I said it worked for months after that.

wfwcowboys

Reputable
Dec 4, 2018
I personally have no clue what the problem could be I have never heard of this happening. Is it possible something got into your system again and possibly ruined the ram, maybe some event happened while you were gone? Do you have any other ram sticks or a stick from a friend you can borrow to test to make sure the ram is bad?

I am at a bit of a loss because I don't know enough about these components to know if it is possible they can break just from the system being unplugged for long periods of time. My assumption is that one of your parts broke while you were away from natural causes. Or the system had a problem that wouldn't allow it to post but was stable in the OS just waiting for you to restart the system (not likely but worth noting).

Jul 17, 2021
yeah i think i will try to buy one cheap stick of ram that is on their list , and maybe take it apart and clean it with mineral oil this time. if that works i'll then buy the ram i want.

TRENDING THREADS