Question RAM stopping monitors from displaying. Any fixes?

CaveGame

Reputable
Jul 22, 2016
Recently, when I started up my computer, the monitors didn't get a signal. After tinkering about and refitting everything, everytime one specific stick of ram is used, in any slot, the monitors don't display. As soon as it's taken out, they do, and the computer works perfectly.

I've tried various different YouTube tutorials, including one where you rub the contacts with a rubber, but none have worked.

I'd rather not buy anymore if I have to, but I've only got 4GB left.

Specs:
Nvidia Geforce GTX 980Ti
4GB DDR4 Corsair Vengence LPX RAM (x2)
Ryzen 5 1600
Asrock AB350 PRO4 Mobo
EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 80+

CaveGame

Reputable
Jul 22, 2016
Seems like the memory sticks aren't playing siblings. Were they bought separately?

Have you updated bios since? There have been improvements made to the micro code in the bios expanding memory support.

No, they were bought together a few years ago and were working the entire time. Suddenly I just woke up one day, having used the computer the previous night, and the monitors weren't displaying.

I haven't updated the bios either, though I'm not entirely sure how I would go about doing that.

CaveGame

Reputable
Jul 22, 2016
When you said if one stick is removed all is well, did you try both sticks separately to troubleshoot if one of the sticks is crook?

Won't need to update bios if system was working fine.

Yeah, I tried both of the sticks seperately, and I know that it's just the one stick. I'm using the other stick now to run the computer, and it works fine in all slots.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Ram can go bad, I've had it happen to me. There's not much you really do besides maybe get another single or set.

Try your luck with another 4gb or if feel adventurous go for 2x 8gb. Your 980Ti will thank you for it too. Not that it'll be used for vram but a good chunk of vram data does process through system ram first and having more ram reduces paging on the os drive which is common with 8gb ram. Just a thought.

CaveGame

Reputable
Jul 22, 2016
Ram can go bad, I've had it happen to me. There's not much you really do besides maybe get another single or set.

Try your luck with another 4gb or if feel adventurous go for 2x 8gb. Your 980Ti will thank you for it too. Not that it'll be used for vram but a good chunk of vram data does process through system ram first and having more ram reduces paging on the os drive which is common with 8gb ram. Just a thought.

Yeah, I was expecting this answer to be honest. Just thought I'd ask just in case there was this weird trick that worked.

Thanks anyway.

(I'll still be able to use the 4gb if I get 2x 8gb though, right?)