[SOLVED] RAM Stuck at low speed

Nov 7, 2019
Hi, I'm a semi-seasoned pc builder and I've had no problem with overclocking ram to high 2000s or low to medium 3000s in the past, however recently in my personal build I just upgraded my RAM and it wont overclock, and as I've never had any issues with this matter, I'm unsure of any problems that could be causing this.

Build:
AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
ASUS ROG B450-F
2x8 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200MHz
RTX 2080 FE
CoolerMaster ML240 Liquid AIO
750W Corsair PSU Fully Modular (Don't remember exact model, and my case has a psu shroud so can't quickly look)
500GB Intel SSD
2TB WD Blue HDD

I'm especially sad because not only do I run a minecraft server for my friends on this pc, but Ryzen CPUs love fast RAM and I want to give my CPU that good good.

Solution
Put your ram in slot 2 and 4, these are the primary slots for dual channel and is most likely the reason why you cant run them at 3200.
It wont budge from 1333MHz

How are you monitoring the speed of the ram?

You may already know this but if your using something like CPUz or Task manager it only shows the speed of 1 stick meaning you have to multiply it by 2 to get its real speed.

If you already know this, is your BIOS up to date? And have you ran a memcheck on the kit?

Also are you using XMP? Or manually setting the speed in bios? And if your manually setting the speed in bios, does the bios just restart and revert the ram back to the original speed without saving the config?

Nov 7, 2019
I'm getting the same readings in BIOS, CPU-Z, and Task Manager. I haven't ran a memcheck, I'll try that and let you know how it goes. And my BIOS are up to date so that should be all good

Reactions: Jason H.
I'm getting the same readings in BIOS, CPU-Z, and Task Manager. I haven't ran a memcheck, I'll try that and let you know how it goes. And my BIOS are up to date so that should be all good

Yea run that memcheck so we can make sure you have healthy hardware as its always possible to get a bad kit, send us the report when its done :) THANKS!

But also u didnt answer wether your using xmp or manually setting the speeds. And also if the speed saves upon exiting bios but reverts back to 1333mhz once the bios reboots... so what is it?

Thanks. Yeah a similar situation to this the other day someone else caught and it was the problem. Hoping it's that simple this second time around.

Yea I mean between me and you, if that is not the issue. I may be out because if its not that, then it sounds like bad memory or a mobo issue. But he did the tests which came out fine and he says his mobo is up to date... So I would be lost at that point lol.

N he seems to know his way around as hes oc'd kits in the past, so IDK if it could just be something simple like not setting the speed and timings right or something.

Reactions: boju

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Having ram in the secondary slots usually works normally and won't throw errors. Different platforms behave differently so in the past, if ram was configured similarly may have been fine. With Ryzen, it appears not and if want xmp with two sticks, they should be in the correct slots.

Reactions: Jason H.
Having ram in the secondary slots usually works normally and won't throw errors. Different platforms behave differently so in the past, if ram was configured similarly may have been fine. With Ryzen, it appears not and if want xmp with two sticks, they should be in the correct slots.

I got my ram, which has a base speed of 2400 but advertised at 3000, up to 3200 with better timings. But I eventually brought it back to the 3000 speed with xmp as I didnt have a good enough understanding on the OC and thought my CPU couldnt handle the faster RAM lol the r5 2600. Which Im sure would have been fine but I didnt really get a boost so I just dialed it back to the XMP and called it a day lol.

On top of that I didnt want to run memtest 600 times and test my new oc without having a noticeable boost in the 1st place lol.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Not a lot of difference. Overclocking ram past xmp is often crap shoot. But all that's really involved is playing around with the five primary timings increasing intervals for each timing above what xmp set and maybe applying more dram voltage and possibly cpu too to keep stable. Minimal gains not worth the effort. Decreasing timings whilst at the same xmp frequency is a different ball game.

Example overclocking past xmp frequency. Ryzen prefers even timings.

Five primary timings to change.
Dram Cas# Latency: 14 - change to 16 or 18
Dram Ras# to Cas# Ready Delay: 14 - change to 16
Dram Ras# to Cas# Write Delay: 14 - 16
Dram Ras# Pre Time: 14 - 16
Dram Ras# ACT Time: 34 - 36

If it works it works, if not, either increase timings more, add more voltage or leave it alone ;P

07114555684l.jpg

Anyway i'll let op have their say now on the slot matter. Don't want to bury him with other semi unrelated stuff :)

Nov 7, 2019
Worked! Both sticks now running at 1600MHz! Kinda surprised I didn't try it myself, but you learn something new every day! Thanks so much to everyone who replied to help me out, you guys are life savers :)

Reactions: boju