[SOLVED] Ram Stuck at or below 2133mhz

TSB_Oku

Reputable
Apr 29, 2019
(I should clarify I'm really still quite new to the computer building area so don't flame me too hard :D )

So basically I bought another 2 sticks of 8gb 3200mhz ram and chucked in. I hadn't touched the bios for an extremely long time so when I opened it to see if everything was running correctly I was amazed to see that my ram was at 2133mhz, now normally i wouldn't be too annoyed cause I can just change it to DOCP or whatever its called and just change it from there. However, when I changed the values i attempted to launch my computer causing it to crash booting me back to the bios with the settings going back to 2133mhz. I thought to myself maybe I put the speed too high so I went from 3200mhz to a lower 3000mhz and yet the same thing happened until it finally booted without crashing when i changed the speed to 2600mhz.

I'd love any help with this and any suggestions at this point would be fantastic.
PC:
frostflow 240 liquid cooler
ryzen 7 2700x cpu
B450-f asus strix
32gb 4x8gb 3200mhz corsair rgb
rtx 2080 asus turbo - kinda <Mod Edit> ngl
nzxt case
1 250gb m.2 ssd

(I've already done a bios update to run the ryzen 7 2700x)

Is this still a motherboard issue? Would it just be that it's just still too outdated?

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
RAM kits are binned at the factory to ensure compatibility so that there is not a mismatch. A mismatch can occur when mixing different kits due to Latency differences.
Ryzen is picky with RAM and the best way to avoid a mismatch is to purchase a single kit the size you need at a frequency the MB and CPU support that are listed on the MB QVL and that way you know they are tested and known to work.

Ryzen 7 2700x officially supports up to 2933Mhz so any further OC will depend on the strength of the IMC (Integrated Memory Controller) on your chip.

Should the IMC reject the OC then they will default to a lower than rated frequency and 32gb (4x8) at 3200mhz puts extra strain on the IMC. Best would be (2x16) at 3000Mhz and CL14, which is...
What's the exact model of both RAM kits? And there's a version number written on the sticks next to the voltage. What does it say? Each version use different DRAM chips and mixing RAM with Ryzen is not recommanded.

Pinnacle Ridge used to let the RAM speed stuck at 2666 - 2933 with 4 DIMMS.

TSB_Oku

Reputable
Apr 29, 2019
What's the exact model of both RAM kits? And there's a version number written on the sticks next to the voltage. What does it say? Each version use different DRAM chips and mixing RAM with Ryzen is not recommanded.

Pinnacle Ridge used to let the RAM speed stuck at 2666 - 2933 with 4 DIMMS.
I thought that may be the issue but from what ive read online that isnt the case. Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro is the specific brand of sticks and i did notice that they had different speeds so i decided to only use 2 stick running at 3200mhz and the same issue occured where it is stuck at 2133mhz. but i can up the speed but it cannot go past 2600mhz and anything around that causes the pc to blue screen.

RAM kits are binned at the factory to ensure compatibility so that there is not a mismatch. A mismatch can occur when mixing different kits due to Latency differences.
Ryzen is picky with RAM and the best way to avoid a mismatch is to purchase a single kit the size you need at a frequency the MB and CPU support that are listed on the MB QVL and that way you know they are tested and known to work.

Ryzen 7 2700x officially supports up to 2933Mhz so any further OC will depend on the strength of the IMC (Integrated Memory Controller) on your chip.

Should the IMC reject the OC then they will default to a lower than rated frequency and 32gb (4x8) at 3200mhz puts extra strain on the IMC. Best would be (2x16) at 3000Mhz and CL14, which is better than what you have performance wise.

In conclusion: It's not that your current kit will not work however it will require you manually set your Primary Timings and Dram voltage in Bios. There may not be a guaranteed D.O.C.P profile for easy Overclocking that works.

Ensure your Bios and chipset are up to date.

Last edited:
Solution

TSB_Oku

Reputable
Apr 29, 2019
I thought that may be the issue but from what ive read online that isnt the case. Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro is the specific brand of sticks and i did notice that they had different speeds so i decided to only use 2 stick running at 3200mhz and the same issue occured where it is stuck at 2133mhz. but i can up the speed but it cannot go past 2600mhz and anything around that causes the pc to blue screen.
so basically im gonna need an intel cpu if i wanna get better ram...