[SOLVED] RAM suddenly not detected after bootup

Jul 22, 2021
Hello,

My computer suddenly had blue screen last night (previously it was working okay)

Its automatically sent me to BIOS and I saw that I had 0 memory so I opened my PC and reseeded the RAM, turned on the PC again and opened BIOS. The RAM is detected again but once I exited BIOS and booted up the PC normally and then I’m hit with the blue screen again with the same message (KM mode exception not handled).

After that went into BIOS and the RAM is again no longer detected.

Not sure whether this is a software or hardware issue but I could use a bit of help in this.

Will take a picture of my rig if requested as I’m not home atm

I repeated the process again (reseeded the RAM) and it would always be detected by BIOS but after booting it is no longer detected.

Thanks in advance!

edit :

I’m using a B450 ASRock and 2 sets of G.Skill Ripjaws V RAM @ 8GB a piece

Solution
if "reseating" the memory causes it to be detected but is then lost again,
i would be leaning towards a failing motherboard.
but it's hard to diagnose that easily.

first try resetting the BIOS to optimized defaults.
if it's still occurring try each RAM module separately in DIMM slot A_2.
if it still occurs with both modules try DIMM slot B_2.

you can also try the RAM in another known functioning system and see if it gives any similar errors.
if it runs okay,
while installed run a few rounds of Memtest and see what is reported.

you can also try the RAM in another known functioning system and see if it gives any similar errors.
if it runs okay,

Solution
Hello,

My computer suddenly had blue screen last night (previously it was working okay)

Its automatically sent me to BIOS and I saw that I had 0 memory so I opened my PC and reseeded the RAM, turned on the PC again and opened BIOS. The RAM is detected again but once I exited BIOS and booted up the PC normally and then I’m hit with the blue screen again with the same message (KM mode exception not handled).

After that went into BIOS and the RAM is again no longer detected.

Not sure whether this is a software or hardware issue but I could use a bit of help in this.

Will take a picture of my rig if requested as I’m not home atm

I repeated the process again (reseeded the RAM) and it would always be detected by BIOS but after booting it is no longer detected.

Thanks in advance!

edit :

I’m using a B450 ASRock and 2 sets of G.Skill Ripjaws V RAM @ 8GB a piece
Hi Felinciano (y) and Welcome to the Forum:dawa:

You are mixing RAM and that is a NO NO. It's never a good idea to mix RAM kit's even if they are exactly the same specifications.

Best is to have a single kit (2x8) 16GB at a frequency the MB and CPU support and chosen from the MB QVL that have been tested and known to work.

RAM kits are binned at the factory to ensure Latency compatibility and manufacturers warn of this. Yes sometimes they work only to experience the issue you have with sudden shutdowns or a BSOD.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2021
Hi Felinciano (y) and Welcome to the Forum:dawa:

You are mixing RAM and that is a NO NO. It's never a good idea to mix RAM kit's even if they are exactly the same specifications.

Best is to have a single kit (2x8) 16GB at a frequency the MB and CPU support and chosen from the MB QVL that have been tested and known to work.

RAM kits are binned at the factory to ensure Latency compatibility and manufacturers warn of this. Yes sometimes they work only to experience the issue you have with sudden shutdowns or a BSOD.

oh yeah it’s a single RAM kit, sorry I’m still new at this

Jul 22, 2021

if it runs okay,

okay I will try using just a single RAM stick ok A_2 slot and get back to you

Jul 22, 2021
Hello, so I had a feeling that it was the OS itself that was faulty and not the hardware, I'm typing this from a bootable Ubuntu disk and everything seems to be just fine.