Question Ram suggestions?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Basto13

Prominent
Apr 27, 2019
I have the 2070 gaming Z GPU, Aorus AX-370 MOBO, RYzen 7 2700x CPU, Samsung 860 Evo 1tb SSD and I want to get 32 gbs of 3200mhz Corsair Ram ( 2x16 gbs) any suggestions? I was thinking the Dominator platnium.

Yeah, something is definitely going on.

First off, you purchased a kit, with two DIMMs that came together in one blister pack. Not two separate memory modules that just happened to be the same part number, right?

If the memory won't run while in DIMM slots A2 and B2 (designated as DDR4_1 and DDR4_2 on your board, as seen below), then there is a problem. Either the memory isn't seated correctly, or there is an issue with bent pins on your CPU, or your CPU cooler is mounted improperly with uneven pressure on one side or one corner, or the motherboard is faulty. That's the only choices really.

Lets make sure we have the CORRECT slots being populated first. Then, once you do, try doing a hard reset of the BIOS before attempting to POST or access the BIOS.

BIOS Hard Reset procedure

Power off the unit, switch the PSU off and unplug the PSU cord from either the wall or the power supply.

Remove the motherboard CMOS battery for five minutes. In some cases it may be necessary to remove the graphics card to access the CMOS battery.

During that five minutes, press the power button on the case for 30 seconds. After the five minutes is up, reinstall the CMOS battery making sure to insert it with the correct side up just as it came out.

If you had to remove the graphics card you can now reinstall it, but remember to reconnect your power cables if there were any attached to it as well as your display cable.

Now, plug the power supply cable back in, switch the PSU back on and power up the system. It should display the POST screen and the options to enter CMOS/BIOS setup. Enter the bios setup program and reconfigure the boot settings for either the Windows boot manager or for legacy systems, the drive your OS is installed on if necessary.

Save settings and exit. If the system will POST and boot then you can move forward from there including going back into the bios and configuring any other custom settings you may need to configure such as Memory XMP profile settings, custom fan profile settings or other specific settings you may have previously had configured that were wiped out by resetting the CMOS.

In some cases it may be necessary when you go into the BIOS after a reset, to load the Optimal default or Default values and then save settings, to actually get the hardware tables to reset in the boot manager.

It is probably also worth mentioning that for anything that might require an attempt to DO a hard reset in the first place, it is a GOOD IDEA to try a different type of display as many systems will not work properly for some reason with displayport configurations. It is worth trying HDMI if you are having no display or lack of visual ability to enter the BIOS, or no signal messages.

nd5QgHS.png

Basto13

Prominent
Apr 27, 2019
Yeah, something is definitely going on.

First off, you purchased a kit, with two DIMMs that came together in one blister pack. Not two separate memory modules that just happened to be the same part number, right?

If the memory won't run while in DIMM slots A2 and B2 (designated as DDR4_1 and DDR4_2 on your board, as seen below), then there is a problem. Either the memory isn't seated correctly, or there is an issue with bent pins on your CPU, or your CPU cooler is mounted improperly with uneven pressure on one side or one corner, or the motherboard is faulty. That's the only choices really.

Lets make sure we have the CORRECT slots being populated first. Then, once you do, try doing a hard reset of the BIOS before attempting to POST or access the BIOS.

BIOS Hard Reset procedure

Power off the unit, switch the PSU off and unplug the PSU cord from either the wall or the power supply.

Remove the motherboard CMOS battery for five minutes. In some cases it may be necessary to remove the graphics card to access the CMOS battery.

During that five minutes, press the power button on the case for 30 seconds. After the five minutes is up, reinstall the CMOS battery making sure to insert it with the correct side up just as it came out.

If you had to remove the graphics card you can now reinstall it, but remember to reconnect your power cables if there were any attached to it as well as your display cable.

Now, plug the power supply cable back in, switch the PSU back on and power up the system. It should display the POST screen and the options to enter CMOS/BIOS setup. Enter the bios setup program and reconfigure the boot settings for either the Windows boot manager or for legacy systems, the drive your OS is installed on if necessary.

Save settings and exit. If the system will POST and boot then you can move forward from there including going back into the bios and configuring any other custom settings you may need to configure such as Memory XMP profile settings, custom fan profile settings or other specific settings you may have previously had configured that were wiped out by resetting the CMOS.

In some cases it may be necessary when you go into the BIOS after a reset, to load the Optimal default or Default values and then save settings, to actually get the hardware tables to reset in the boot manager.

It is probably also worth mentioning that for anything that might require an attempt to DO a hard reset in the first place, it is a GOOD IDEA to try a different type of display as many systems will not work properly for some reason with displayport configurations. It is worth trying HDMI if you are having no display or lack of visual ability to enter the BIOS, or no signal messages.

nd5QgHS.png
Thats the way I had it, but my displays only work in 2 and 4. I remember the same thing happening when i first put in the previous RAM. Its definetly the Motherboard because ive upgraded CPU and RAM recently but not the motherboard and I remember the same thing happening with my old ram. From what im hetting from this is that the MOBO is faulty? And if so what should i buy as a replacement. I can go up to $350ish

What BIOS version are you on currently?

Double check IN the BIOS and verify which BIOS version you are currently on. I know you updated, or at least I think you did, but sometimes it doesn't "take" so to speak. Verify the version.

What CPU did you upgrade to? What did you have before?

Did you even TRY doing the hard reset of the BIOS, WITH the memory installed in the correct slots?

If you want to get a new board, we will need to verify a few things INCLUDING that the memory you just bought is going to be technically compatible with it. What CPU are you running now and refresh my memory on what country you are in?

Dec 27, 2019
I have the 2070 gaming Z GPU, Aorus AX-370 MOBO, RYzen 7 2700x CPU, Samsung 860 Evo 1tb SSD and I want to get 32 gbs of 3200mhz Corsair Ram ( 2x16 gbs) any suggestions? I was thinking the Dominator platnium.
Corsair Vengence LPX series.
Great for budget builds and comes in most speeds. I use a 3200mhz and it works amazing with my Ryzen 5 3600. If you're looking for something a little more classy the G.Skill Trident Z is top-notch and should pull great performance. But If it's not your thing then Corsair's Dominator Platinum is also great.

Also once installed, go to bio's and create a new profile cause your motherboard will set your rams speed to around 2666mhz.

Dec 27, 2019
Is my motherboard then flawed should i buy a new one? I have around $380 to spend...
you don't have too, only If your really desperate, but $380 is a decent amount to spend on a good motherboard, you wouldn't be getting anything special but you'd still be able to get something.

it's sad when a part doesn't work, and you either have to go through customer support or fork out some of your budget to get a new one. ooft

Corsair Vengence LPX series.
Great for budget builds and comes in most speeds. I use a 3200mhz and it works amazing with my Ryzen 5 3600. If you're looking for something a little more classy the G.Skill Trident Z is top-notch and should pull great performance. But If it's not your thing then Corsair's Dominator Platinum is also great.

Also once installed, go to bio's and create a new profile cause your motherboard will set your rams speed to around 2666mhz.
you don't have too, only If your really desperate, but $380 is a decent amount to spend on a good motherboard, you wouldn't be getting anything special but you'd still be able to get something.

it's sad when a part doesn't work, and you either have to go through customer support or fork out some of your budget to get a new one. ooft

Please, don't post if you don't actually know what you are posting about. Only somebody who had little knowledge of computers or forums would:

1. Post that, after NOT bothering to read the fact that they ALREADY BOUGHT a Corsair Dominator Platinum kit.

2. Recommend buying a set of Vengeance sticks after they've already bought a MUCH HIGHER quality set of sticks that makes those Vengeance sticks look like they were made by Adata or PNY.

If you can't be bothered to read the entire thread, then DON'T post in it.

Thanks.

Basto13

Prominent
Apr 27, 2019
What BIOS version are you on currently?

Double check IN the BIOS and verify which BIOS version you are currently on. I know you updated, or at least I think you did, but sometimes it doesn't "take" so to speak. Verify the version.

What CPU did you upgrade to? What did you have before?

Did you even TRY doing the hard reset of the BIOS, WITH the memory installed in the correct slots?

If you want to get a new board, we will need to verify a few things INCLUDING that the memory you just bought is going to be technically compatible with it. What CPU are you running now and refresh my memory on what country you are in?
Im in the US. I have the ryzen 7 2700x and i upgraded from the ryzen 5 1600. I would like to buy a new board anyways.

PCPartPicker Part List

Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard ($114.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $114.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-12-30 15:05 EST-0500

That board is good all the way up to the 3950x, so it's easily good enough for your 2700x. And that memory kit shows as compatible on the Corsair site.

Basto13

Prominent
Apr 27, 2019
PCPartPicker Part List

Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard ($114.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $114.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-12-30 15:05 EST-0500

That board is good all the way up to the 3950x, so it's easily good enough for your 2700x. And that memory kit shows as compatible on the Corsair site.

Okay I ordered the MOBO but it will not bd arriving till the 7th of January so until then i'll just have to sot tight. But until then i can at least learn what i have to do for a fluid MOBO swap. Do yoy have a god system for MOBO swaping?

Not really. There are plenty of Youtube tutorials though.

https://www.google.com/search?q=how...SCM0KHfaACawQ_AUoAnoECGYQBA&biw=2560&bih=1315

Also, probably THIS is a very good resource to use as a reference while swapping them out.

Basto13

Prominent
Apr 27, 2019

https://www.google.com/search?q=how...SCM0KHfaACawQ_AUoAnoECGYQBA&biw=2560&bih=1315

Also, probably THIS is a very good resource to use as a reference while swapping them out.

Gotcha, thanks i'll let you know how the MOBO Swap goes after I get it.

Basto13

Prominent
Apr 27, 2019

Is there anything I should do before i unijnstall my current MOBO?

Basto13

Prominent
Apr 27, 2019
You shouldn't. Of course, after you swap boards you will want to go to the product page for that motherboard and download and install all of the relevant drivers for that specific motherboard.
Okay just installed everything, Windows booted and everything's normal, im going to make sure i have the right drivers and then I'm going to XMP it.

Basto13

Prominent
Apr 27, 2019
You shouldn't. Of course, after you swap boards you will want to go to the product page for that motherboard and download and install all of the relevant drivers for that specific motherboard.
Okay so i booted the first time and everything was fine restarted a couple of times maybe to set up XMP, after setting it up it was working then i shut off and like an hour later i booted up and i blue screen twice and it restarted and then i was good for like 2 mins and then got 'driver_irql_not_less_or_equal' on the 3rd one. I figure this has something to do with the XMP Voltage? I looked it up along with XMP and apparently i have to increase the voltage? It said it was set to 1.220 V.

Ok, so, you updated to the most recent BIOS version, right?

You set the correct XMP profile, because there is generally more than one. You need to set the correct XMP profile that is the same speed as the speed your memory kit is supposed to be. The default voltage for the XMP profile SHOULD be 1.35v.

You installed the memory in the second and fourth slots over from the CPU, right?

You also went to the AMD website, downloaded the latest B450 chipset driver and installed it,

https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/b450

then installed the most recent drivers for the network adapter (LAN/Ethernet) and audio chipset?

Audio chipset: https://download.msi.com/dvr_exe/mb/realtek_hd_UAD_audio.zip

Network adapters:

https://download.msi.com/dvr_exe/mb/realtek_pcielan_w10.zip

Basto13

Prominent
Apr 27, 2019
Ok, so, you updated to the most recent BIOS version, right?

You set the correct XMP profile, because there is generally more than one. You need to set the correct XMP profile that is the same speed as the speed your memory kit is supposed to be. The default voltage for the XMP profile SHOULD be 1.35v.

You installed the memory in the second and fourth slots over from the CPU, right?

You also went to the AMD website, downloaded the latest B450 chipset driver and installed it,

https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/b450

then installed the most recent drivers for the network adapter (LAN/Ethernet) and audio chipset?

Audio chipset: https://download.msi.com/dvr_exe/mb/realtek_hd_UAD_audio.zip

Network adapters:

https://download.msi.com/dvr_exe/mb/realtek_pcielan_w10.zip
Update - I fixed everything before i went to bed last night and got wverything stable i just forgot to update yoy about it. Sorry. And thanks for your help!