[SOLVED] RAM swapping?

May 15, 2020
is it practical to swap avexir 2 sticks of 4gb 2400 mhz with one 8gb 2133 mhz corsair stick for ryzen 1800x?

Solution
No, you would be lowering speed (2400Mhz -> 2133 Mhz) for no additional memory.

Also, If your motherboard supports dual-channel memory (it probably does) you would be losing that functionality if you only have 1 stick of ram installed. My understanding is that essentially what dual channel does is split the load between the two sticks, instead of trying to jam it all into one at the same time, so the speed at which data can be sent to and read from the ram stick is bottle necked if you only have 1 stick.

If you need more RAM, I would recommend grabbing two of the 8gb sticks to replace the 4gb sticks if you can afford it. The drop in speed won't be a huge jump down, and you'll get twice the memory.
Apr 29, 2020

Also, If your motherboard supports dual-channel memory (it probably does) you would be losing that functionality if you only have 1 stick of ram installed. My understanding is that essentially what dual channel does is split the load between the two sticks, instead of trying to jam it all into one at the same time, so the speed at which data can be sent to and read from the ram stick is bottle necked if you only have 1 stick.

If you need more RAM, I would recommend grabbing two of the 8gb sticks to replace the 4gb sticks if you can afford it. The drop in speed won't be a huge jump down, and you'll get twice the memory.

Reactions: fouedhadibi
Solution
May 15, 2020

thanks man, i will replace it with two sticks of ram as u suggested