[SOLVED] RAM test: Bad stick?

westlightimages

Reputable
Jul 29, 2018
I've been having problems with a newly built system. It was working fine with 2 8gb sticks of RAM but when using Lightroom I was maxing them out. I add 2 more of the same sticks. Everything ran fine. Lately I started having many different BSOD or the system would just freeze. I ran Windows 10 Memory Diagnostic app once and it showed an error in the memory. No real details.

I ran Memtest86+ overnight but made the mistake of having all 4 sticks in at the time. Here's a link to a pic of the results before I cancelled the scan (early). Not sure what it's telling me except ERRORS. Memtest86+ results An deciphering of this welcome!

I've been re-testing each stick one at a time using the Windows tool. I seem to have it narrowed down to 1 stick as when I try to boot off that one the system will not boot. It does if I add a second stick.

Sooooo....
1) Does it matter which slot I use to test each stick 1 at a time?
2) Once I'm sure I have a GOOD stick should I go on testing each slot to make sure the MOB is not the or part of the problem?

Windows 10 Pro 64bit

Motherboard | Gigabyte B550 AORUS PRO V2 ATX AM4 Motherboard

CPU | AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor

Memory | G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32 GB (4x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL14

Storage | Samsung 960 EVO 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive |

Storage | ADATA Ultimate SU800 512 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

Storage | Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive

Video Card | EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8 GB FTW GAMING ACX 3.0 Video Card

Power Supply | Super Flower Leadex III Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

Solution
Does it matter which slot I use to test each stick 1 at a time?
any single module should be located in A_2,
2x dual channel modules in A_2 & B_2.

make sure you keep the two kits separate so you know which were actually tested & packaged together.
try the system with the two kits separately.
if it functions with each set the way it should then the two kits are fine but are not compatible.

being the same make & model does not mean kits will function properly together.
many times users run into the same types of issues you're facing due to adding separate kits or modules together.
Does it matter which slot I use to test each stick 1 at a time?
any single module should be located in A_2,
2x dual channel modules in A_2 & B_2.

make sure you keep the two kits separate so you know which were actually tested & packaged together.
try the system with the two kits separately.
if it functions with each set the way it should then the two kits are fine but are not compatible.

being the same make & model does not mean kits will function properly together.
many times users run into the same types of issues you're facing due to adding separate kits or modules together.

Reactions: westlightimages
Solution
When you test one stick at a time, do so in the one slot that your motherboard manual recommends for a single stick.

Ram is supported only as a single kit.
Even the same part number can have different components inside. Your problem likely starts there.

ANY error on memtest makes the ram unsuitable.
Contact G.skil with your issue.
It would seem that you have at least one stick that is defective and eligible for a RMA.
G.skil will likely replace that kit only.
But, perhaps your negotiating skills will get them to send you a functioning 32gb kit. You should not care much if it is 2 x 16 or 4 x 8. Ryzen operates in dual channel mode only.

Reactions: westlightimages

westlightimages

Reputable
Jul 29, 2018
When you test one stick at a time, do so in the one slot that your motherboard manual recommends for a single stick.

Even the same part number can have different components inside. Your problem likely starts there.

It would seem that you have at least one stick that is defective and eligible for a RMA.
But, perhaps your negotiating skills will get them to send you a functioning 32gb kit. You should not care much if it is 2 x 16 or 4 x 8. Ryzen operates in dual channel mode only.
Thank you! I've heard back from G Skill and they're sending me a RMA. Will "negotiate " to see if I can get a full set of 4-8gb sticks. :)

You also answered another question about 2 -16gb vs. 4 -8gb sticks . Actually after looking that the approved list of RAM for this MOB ( Gigabyte B550 AORUS PRO V2 ) it seems that what I have is not compatible? Hmmm

westlightimages

Reputable
Jul 29, 2018

Thank you. I put the system back together with the 2 newer sticks and re-installed Windows and things are running smooth, at the moment. G. Skill sent me an RMA for the bad stick/kit. Not sure if I should just get a new kit of 2-16gb since the replacement, if only 1 stick, will give me 3 different or un-matched sticks.

G.skil warrants kits, not sticks.
If one stick is bad, both must be replaced to insure that they match.
Try the rma ram and see if it plays nice with your old ram.
It may not, then you will have a decision to make about just how much you need 32gb.
If you can't talk G.skil into a swap for a single supported kit then you may have to sell both kits and replace with a single supported kit.
Before I did that, I would see if increasing the ram voltage in the bios would get things to work.
If it survives a good memtest workout, you may be ok.

As to the motherboard QVL list, that is ram that Gigabyte has tested on that particular motherboard with that class of processor(yes, the combo matters).
The list may not be current.
S.skil ram selection app will show what they think is compatible. It may include parts not on the QVL list.