JacobGiles

Honorable
Jan 11, 2017
Specs:
CPU- i5 6600k
GPU- GTX 1060 3GB
RAM- Now 8GB (Was 16)
PSU- NZXT 750w 80+ Gold

So recently I cleared my CMOS battery in order to reset my BIOS to default because of a strange power issue. Before the CMOS clear, I installed a new 2x8 kit of DDR4 RAM in the pc (maybe a week before) and everything was fine up until the the clear. Now I can only use the original 8GB that came with the pc, is there some way I can fix this? I seriously doubt that anything was fried when removing and installing the CMOS battery because I made sure to ground myself throughout

When installing the new RAM any time after the CMOS clear I always received the HP 3 long 2 short post code beeps, so it's confirmed to be a RAM issue

D

Deleted member 14196

try disconnecting everything except gpu, the cpu, ONE stick of the bad ram (test it in each slot to see if you can get it to boot, we are looking for a defective stick) and use Memtest86 to boot with and test out the memory. see if you can get it to post, If it does post and boot from your Memtest86 USB, run the tests for at least 4 full passes, for each stick

"
What is MemTest86
MemTest86 is the original, free, stand alone memory testing software for x86 computers. MemTest86 boots from a USB flash drive and tests the RAM in your computer for faults using a series of comprehensive algorithms and test patterns.

"

JacobGiles

Honorable
Jan 11, 2017
You may have grounded yourself, but did you disconnect the power cable and press the ON button to discharge the motherboard/psu?
Yeah that was something I made sure to do, but I might not have done it every time. But if that was the case then I think there would probably be a problem with the GPU too since usually I removed it to reach the RAM

JacobGiles

Honorable
Jan 11, 2017
try disconnecting everything except gpu, the cpu, ONE stick of the bad ram (test it in each slot to see if you can get it to boot, we are looking for a defective stick) and use Memtest86 to boot with and test out the memory. see if you can get it to post, If it does post and boot from your Memtest86 USB, run the tests for at least 4 full passes, for each stick

"
What is MemTest86
MemTest86 is the original, free, stand alone memory testing software for x86 computers. MemTest86 boots from a USB flash drive and tests the RAM in your computer for faults using a series of comprehensive algorithms and test patterns.

"
I'll try this in a bit and come back with results