[SOLVED] RAM thermal throttle on PC? if yes is it critical?

cc2onouui

Prominent
Oct 3, 2021
I failed to find one review to satisfy me on this question, can a good cooled memory provide more stable "performance" not "system" for gaming or productivity? I mean if thermal throttling RAM is a real thing on base and overclocked memory isn't this a big thing to talk about? I find this may explain even though great "CPU" overclock can be don on a given gaming machine the The 99th can go worse and sometimes the average too, I'm talking about the system memory, did anyone test an actual system performance relation with RAM temp specially on overclocked system? please inform me what you got

Solution
The chances of overheating ram are slim to slimmer bordering on none. For real, ram heatsinks do next to nothing, even rgb lighting doesn't add enough thermal issues to throttle ram. OC a pc doesn't affect ram, OC ram does, but you'll run into other issues such as stability long before overheating, you'd have to be pushing max OC with dangerous high voltage levels and even then you'd not throttle the ram before frying it with over-voltage.

Ram doesn't free-air dissipate most of its heat (reason why heatsinks are mostly decoration), ram dissipates it's heat into the ground plane of the motherboard. If you do manage to get even close to thermal throttling ram, the amount of heat dumped into the motherboard will be rediculously high and...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The chances of overheating ram are slim to slimmer bordering on none. For real, ram heatsinks do next to nothing, even rgb lighting doesn't add enough thermal issues to throttle ram. OC a pc doesn't affect ram, OC ram does, but you'll run into other issues such as stability long before overheating, you'd have to be pushing max OC with dangerous high voltage levels and even then you'd not throttle the ram before frying it with over-voltage.

Ram doesn't free-air dissipate most of its heat (reason why heatsinks are mostly decoration), ram dissipates it's heat into the ground plane of the motherboard. If you do manage to get even close to thermal throttling ram, the amount of heat dumped into the motherboard will be rediculously high and youd have even more issues than just overheating ram.

Ram (and vram) temp limits are somewhere North of 100°C (ish), so figure how much of that heat is in your mobo respectively for any given time period.

For normal pc setups, running LN² is somewhat different because that uses extreme amounts of BCLK changes, which affects buss speeds, and therefore ram/memory controller internal speeds.

Reactions: raptor2012rom
Solution

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
Micron memory operating temp:
TC maximum up to 95C
64ms, 8192-cycle refresh up to 85C
32ms, 8192-cycle refresh at >85C to 95C

I haven't heard of anyone reaching those temps. RAM tends to get unstable and crash your system way before those temps are reached. RAM either works or it errors out.
RAM heatsinks do help: https://www.igorslab.de/en/ddr5-bis...2x-8-gb-ram-kit-test-mit-teardown-und-oc-2/3/
Notably also when overclocking on ambient. A couple degrees can be the difference between stability and crashing, especially on B-die.

Reactions: CompuTronix