[SOLVED] RAM timing compatibiltiy with Ryzen

Feb 29, 2020
Hello,

I have a AMD Ryzen 5 2600 and I know that Ryzen are quite peculiar with their RAM timings. I can't get my XMP to work on my motherboard so I plan to manually set my RAM speeds.

The RAM I have is 3200mhz and the timings are 16-18-18-36. Would it be okay for me to stick to these timing if I was to manually set the speed to 3200mhz?

The current default is at 1066mhz per RAM and the timings are 15-15-15-36. It's currently running very stable.

Thanks!
-Irene

Solution
Hey there,

Sorry for the late reply., with all this virus stuff, have been getting used to some changes this week.

That's good you're making progress with them. As mentioned it takes time and trial and error to get them working.

So, now you have the ram running at 3000mhz, and the timings are on auto as you highlighted above.

I would now go and open up the SPD tab on CPU-z, and look at the timings there for 3000mhz, or close. In fact it might be a good idea to post a screenie of that here

I would then take a set of timings in between stock and XMP profile and set the timings at that and voltage at 1.35. If you can boot/test with those timings, then note them down as a baseline. Then after that you can think of getting the timings...
Feb 29, 2020
Hi Irene,

Yes, that's exactly how you do it. You also have to set mem voltage to 1.35, which is typically the voltage for most XMP/DOCP settings.

Fire them up and see how you get on.

Which mobo do you have?

Hello!

I'll give that a shot. However, when I did set the XMP profile for my RAM, it did power cycle 3 times before properly booting up. But still, the speeds were not regonised when I checked with CPU-Z and Speccy.

The motherboard I'm using is Aorus X470 Gaming 7 :)

Hello!

I'll give that a shot. However, when I did set the XMP profile for my RAM, it did power cycle 3 times before properly booting up. But still, the speeds were not regonised when I checked with CPU-Z and Speccy.

The motherboard I'm using is Aorus X470 Gaming 7 :)

What's the exact model DIMMs?

Have you the most up to date bios for the mobo? I'd start there. The most recent one for yours is here: https://www.gigabyte.com/ie/Motherboard/X470-AORUS-GAMING-7-WIFI-rev-10/support#support-dl-bios

It's the F50 version. Make sure you have that, and if you haven't, update it and do a CMOS clear afterwards. Then try XMP again.

Feb 29, 2020
What's the exact model DIMMs?

Have you the most up to date bios for the mobo? I'd start there. The most recent one for yours is here: https://www.gigabyte.com/ie/Motherboard/X470-AORUS-GAMING-7-WIFI-rev-10/support#support-dl-bios

It's the F50 version. Make sure you have that, and if you haven't, update it and do a CMOS clear afterwards. Then try XMP again.

The model of the DIMMs is CMW32GX4M2C3200C16. Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 2x 16GB.

And yep, I have the most up to date version of the BIOS (F50). I've already cleared the CMOS too. So I'm not sure why XMP seems to be causing some disruption. With my old RAM I had no problem with XMP though. It ran perfeclty normal.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
The model of the DIMMs is CMW32GX4M2C3200C16. Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 2x 16GB.

And yep, I have the most up to date version of the BIOS (F50). I've already cleared the CMOS too. So I'm not sure why XMP seems to be causing some disruption. With my old RAM I had no problem with XMP though. It ran perfeclty normal.
Are you sure your new RAM is in the memory compatibility list of your motherboard? Its on your motherboard's manufacturer website. It needs to be there for XMP to work stable.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
So, those DIMMS aren't on the QVL, but that doesn't mean they won't work. Only that they haven't been tested and it might require some tinkering around to get them to work.

I'd suggest taking a pragmatic approach. Given they work fine at default, lets see what speeds we can hit. Leaving all timing's on auto and mem voltage at 1.35, just bump the mem speed in increments 2400mhz, 2800, 3000 etc. Test using memtest86+ with each increase to ensure it passes 4 passes. Once you hit a wall, we have an idea of where the DIMMs can bet set speed wise, then we can see about timings after that.

Edit: BTW, do you have any other components OC'ed? CPU/GPU? if so, might be worth just running at stock while troubleshooting.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zizo007
Feb 29, 2020
Are you sure your new RAM is in the memory compatibility list of your motherboard? Its on your motherboard's manufacturer website. It needs to be there for XMP to work stable.

No, unfortunatly it's not on there. Which is why I think XMP isn't working. But nontheless, the RAM is running stable when in default state.

So therefore I'm wanting to manually adjust the speeds/timings but not sure if this is a safe to do so?
So, those DIMMS aren't on the QVL, but that doesn't mean they won't work. Only that they haven't been tested and it might require some tinkering around to get them to work.

I'd suggest taking a pragmatic approach. Given they work fine at default, lets see what speeds we can hit. Leaving all timing's on auto and mem voltage at 1.35, just bump the mem speed in increments 2400mhz, 2800, 3000 etc. Test using memtest86+ with each increase to ensure it passes 4 passes. Once you hit a wall, we have an idea of where the DIMMs can bet set speed wise, then we can see about timings after that.

Edit: BTW, do you have any other components OC'ed? CPU/GPU? if so, might be worth just running at stock while troubleshooting.

Thank you for your suggestions. I'll go ahead and bump the speeds up and run a memtest each time and see eventually if it can run stable at 3200mhz. I'll let you know!

And nope, all my other components are running at default.

Feb 29, 2020

So it's running pretty stable at 3000mhz. The timings from "auto" selection are at 22-21-21-50. Would it be okay to leave it at this?

Hey there,

Sorry for the late reply., with all this virus stuff, have been getting used to some changes this week.

That's good you're making progress with them. As mentioned it takes time and trial and error to get them working.

So, now you have the ram running at 3000mhz, and the timings are on auto as you highlighted above.

I would now go and open up the SPD tab on CPU-z, and look at the timings there for 3000mhz, or close. In fact it might be a good idea to post a screenie of that here

I would then take a set of timings in between stock and XMP profile and set the timings at that and voltage at 1.35. If you can boot/test with those timings, then note them down as a baseline. Then after that you can think of getting the timings down lower each time. CL is the most important.

You can try bump the SOC voltage up a notch. If it's set at 1.2 then up it to 1.21, this can sometimes help with unstable ram.

If you are pretty sure you have them stable at 3000mhz, then you can try Ryzen Dram Calc to fine tune the timings.

Solution
Also,. for peace of mind, and some clarity. Ryzen does indeed love fast ram. For the most part the biggest gain comes from between 2400mhz-3000mhz. The difference can be as much as 10-20% task dependant, but specially gaming. However, the difference between 3000mhz and 3200mhz is about 2-5% at best. In terms of gaming it translates to just a few extra FPS. So, although you may not hit max speeds on the DIMMS, you won't be losing too much by not.