Question ram timing question on 3000 mhz ddr4

packersfan036

Distinguished
May 27, 2015
im using corsair vengeance rgb pro 3000 mhz cas 15. my cpu is a ryzen 5 2600, is it possible to lower the cas to 14, whats the worst that could happen if the change fails? the full current timings are 15-17-17-35 command rate 1, any advice is appreciated. thanks.

Lutfij

Titan
I know G.Skill's rams are a little forgiving with tight timings and higher voltages. The worst that will happen with the wrong timings for your kit will end up with reduced FPS, sluggish response from the system and perhaps longer boot times. It's all about trial and error and it's good if you can keep a list of what timings and voltages were used at a particular frequency.

Got a link to the ram(kit)?

packersfan036

Distinguished
May 27, 2015
I know G.Skill's rams are a little forgiving with tight timings and higher voltages. The worst that will happen with the wrong timings for your kit will end up with reduced FPS, sluggish response from the system and perhaps longer boot times. It's all about trial and error and it's good if you can keep a list of what timings and voltages were used at a particular frequency.

Got a link to the ram(kit)?
https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-CMW3...ords=CMW32GX4M2C3000C15&qid=1571669572&sr=8-1

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
Yeah I have a 3200mhz CL16-18-18-38 kit which I run at 3200mhz CL16-16-16-36 CR1. That works fine for me, I get small repeatable improvements in userbenchmark CPU and memory scores as well as a slight increase in cinebench R15 scores. However if I try for CL15-15-15-35 I can run it stableish however it decreases my CPU scores for whatever reason, I believe this has to do with the secondary timings not being ideal for CL15, or it's just instability though I had no crashes. I tried playing around with secondary timings got lost almost immediately lol, lots of failure to POST. So yeah give it shot but lower timings does not necessarily always mean better performance when it comes to manually tweaking them.

The worst that ever happened to me tweaking timings was failure to POST. But a hard reset would always allow the board POST in safe mode so I could change the settings. Worst case you may have to clear the CMOS.

Last edited: