RAM to pair with 8700k for video/photo editing.

Berkley Todd

Reputable
Mar 20, 2014
Hello all.

I'm currently in the research stages for a new PC build. Done this once before, but things seem to have changed a lot (or I've just learned a lot) in the past 5 years.

Right now, I'm considering RAM to pair with a 8700k and an ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-E mobo. The primary use of this PC is photo and video editing using photoshop/premiere (thus why I'm going intel instead of AMD), NOT gaming. That being said, I will be playing some games on occasion.

I'm reading a lot about RAM, and I'm confused. Yes, I'm a total sucker for aesthetics and want something with RGB capabilities as I have this beautiful orange-black-white scheme in my head that I love. But on a more technical side, I'm very confused about RAM speeds. On another forum, I saw someone recommend pairing ram that can overclock (yes, I will overclock) to speeds of 3400 with this CPU, but that might be totally arbitrary. I do plan to overclock, and my priority is the video/photo editing. Does anybody have recommendations on just how important RAM speed really is going to be for me? Any recommendation on sticks? I'm planning to go with 2x16GB sticks at this point.

Solution
The sweet spot atm with performance and price considered, I would say to get a 2x16 GB 3200 MHz RAM. This is unless the specific application you are using can make use of faster RAM.