[SOLVED] RAM Troubles Help!!

kevnnguyen

Prominent
Nov 30, 2020
Alright so I was getting blue screen looping on my pc so when I would turn it on it would blue screen, tell me its restarting and restarted. Then it would blue screen again and do it over and over so I took out my second ram stick and it worked. I was thinking it might be the ram stick I took out that could be the issue but I took the one that was already in, out and I put the second one in the slot it should normally go in and it worked too. So both ram sticks work individually but not together. Is this a ram problem or could something be wrong with my motherboard.

SYSTEM SPECS:
CPU - Ryzen 5 1600AF
GPU - AMD Radeon 5600xt
MOBO - ASUS ROG STRIX B450f
RAM - T-FORCE Vulcan 2 Sticks of 8gb at 3200mhz
PSU - Corsair 650W Bronze Rated

kevnnguyen

Prominent
Nov 30, 2020
Are you overclocking, overvolting, or adjusting any timings, either in BIOS or the OS, for any of your compunents?
If yes, restore the settings to stock and test again.

At stock, test each stick, individually, with Memtest86 - 1 full pass.
No im not overclocking anything besides running xmp to make my ram run at 3200

kevnnguyen

Prominent
Nov 30, 2020
Remove XMP/AMP and test the sticks. It's possible that they need a little bit more voltage than default when running in AMP but best to get a baseline first.
ok so I set my ram back to 1333 and now my system works thank you so much but the only thing, how do i get my ram back to 3200 without it crashing

Some Ryzen CPUs require a fair amount ot tweaking of RAM timings and power/voltage adjustments to get stable at higher MHz.
Look up DRAM calculator and Ryzen 5 1600AF to see what others are doing.

Do NOT just find the best setting and plug that in there. Do at least a couple of hours of research and start by making small/minimal adjustments.

kevnnguyen

Prominent
Nov 30, 2020
Some Ryzen CPUs require a fair amount ot tweaking of RAM timings and power/voltage adjustments to get stable at higher MHz.
Look up DRAM calculator and Ryzen 5 1600AF to see what others are doing.

Do NOT just find the best setting and plug that in there. Do at least a couple of hours of research and start by making small/minimal adjustments.
I got new ram and its the same issue with both sticks working individually but not together however, this time the if I put the ram stick in the last slot it will NOT boot. Does this mean that my ram slot is faulty?

How tight is your CPU cooler? There is a known issue, with certain boards, where overly an overly tight CPU cooler can mess up the memory slots.

Other than that you could try a BIOS reset just to make sure there isn't any weird, lingering settings change.

kevnnguyen

Prominent
Nov 30, 2020
How tight is your CPU cooler? There is a known issue, with certain boards, where overly an overly tight CPU cooler can mess up the memory slots.

Other than that you could try a BIOS reset just to make sure there isn't any weird, lingering settings change.
it cant be that tight cause im using a wraith prism and that one is using the lever system and if the bios reset fails then it must be the motherboard correct??

kevnnguyen

Prominent
Nov 30, 2020
CPU - Ryzen 5 1600AF

Run the RAM at 2933MHz. Not 3200MHz.

Ryzen Zen CPU - 2933MHz
Ryzen Zen+ CPU - 3200MHz
Ryzen Zen 2 CPU - 3600MHz
Ryzen Zen 3 CPU - 3600MHz to 4000MHz

Let me know if 2933MHz is working fine. Should be ok at that frequency.
alright lemme check but btw the new ram I got is 3600mhz

kevnnguyen

Prominent
Nov 30, 2020
I made a mistake and that CPU is Zen+. Should be able to do 3200MHz. Still. Try 2933MHz and see if the instabilities are gone.
yea it still doesnt boot with two ram sticks in at 2933, the pc will turn on but the orange mobo light will stay on and it wont show anything on the monitor

Your memory controller in the cpu supports 2933 max speed memory.
Anything over that is not guaranteed to work. You did not get lucky and 3200memory does not work with your processor.
Manual set your memory to 2933.
Set memory fabric clock to auto or 1466-1500. half of DDR speed (varies by board/bios which options are available.
Leave advanced memory options on auto
Set voltage to 1.35v.
Save and exit bios.
It may take a couple minutes to restart. Memory is retraining in auto mode.
It should boot unless your memory can not negotiate 2933.
If so try 3000 with IF clock of 1500

Is the BIOS up to date ?

Make sure you're in slots A2 and B2. The 1600AF is basically a re-badged 2600 so you should have no issue running 3200mhz ram.

If the BIOS is up to date and the ram still doesn't work in A2 and B2 with 1.35v then I would return it and buy another brand.

kevnnguyen

Prominent
Nov 30, 2020
Your memory controller in the cpu supports 2933 max speed memory.
Anything over that is not guaranteed to work. You did not get lucky and 3200memory does not work with your processor.
Manual set your memory to 2933.
Set memory fabric clock to auto or 1466-1500. half of DDR speed (varies by board/bios which options are available.
Leave advanced memory options on auto
Set voltage to 1.35v.
Save and exit bios.
It may take a couple minutes to restart. Memory is retraining in auto mode.
It should boot unless your memory can not negotiate 2933.
If so try 3000 with IF clock of 1500
it should work because i've had 3200mhz ram for the past year now and it just suddenly stopped workin

kevnnguyen

Prominent
Nov 30, 2020
Is the BIOS up to date ?

Make sure you're in slots A2 and B2. The 1600AF is basically a re-badged 2600 so you should have no issue running 3200mhz ram.

If the BIOS is up to date and the ram still doesn't work in A2 and B2 with 1.35v then I would return it and buy another brand.
yes it is up to date, my ram has been working for a year now and suddenly just stopped

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
At a guess one or more of the voltage regulators that feed the memory slots is dead, so it can feed enough watts for one stick but not two? In any case, if both sticks of your old RAM and both sticks of the new RAM all pass memtest individually, but the system won't boot with two sticks, then the Motherboard is faulty. It seems like it is failing to supply enough power for two memory modules, but is ok with one?

kevnnguyen

Prominent
Nov 30, 2020
At a guess one or more of the voltage regulators that feed the memory slots is dead, so it can feed enough watts for one stick but not two? In any case, if both sticks of your old RAM and both sticks of the new RAM all pass memtest individually, but the system won't boot with two sticks, then the Motherboard is faulty. It seems like it is failing to supply enough power for two memory modules, but is ok with one?
yea each stick work alone but when i try to use both of them together the system wont post