Question RAM TROUBLES! Motherboard??

Jan 13, 2021
The other day me and my buddy decided to take on the task of installing a liquid cooler on my computer. In the process the cpu got seated incorrectly and bent 2 pins, which i then corrected and they look (almost) perfect aside from slight discoloration on one of them. We then pressed on and finished installing. When we finished and tried to boot, the pc wouldnt post, the DRAM light was on, so we removed a stick of ram and got it to boot that way. At first, the one ram stick in any single one of the 4 slots would get the pc to boot. The only way we could get it to boot with both sticks was to put the ram in slots 3 and 4. Now i can only get slots 3 or 4 to boot and post on a single stick and on double sticks. Did we kill the motherboard or do you think this is somehow a ram issue? Any help is appreciated!

Specs:
Intel i7 10700F
ASRock 6460M Pro4/ac
T-Force Vulcan Z 8gb 2933mhz
Gigabyte GTX 2070 Super
(Anything else i might have forgotten?)

The other day me and my buddy decided to take on the task of installing a liquid cooler on my computer. In the process the cpu got seated incorrectly and bent 2 pins, which i then corrected and they look (almost) perfect aside from slight discoloration on one of them. We then pressed on and finished installing. When we finished and tried to boot, the pc wouldnt post, the DRAM light was on, so we removed a stick of ram and got it to boot that way. At first, the one ram stick in any single one of the 4 slots would get the pc to boot. The only way we could get it to boot with both sticks was to put the ram in slots 3 and 4. Now i can only get slots 3 or 4 to boot and post on a single stick and on double sticks. Did we kill the motherboard or do you think this is somehow a ram issue? Any help is appreciated!

Specs:
Intel i7 10700F
ASRock 6460M Pro4/ac
T-Force Vulcan Z 8gb 2933mhz
Gigabyte GTX 2070 Super
(Anything else i might have forgotten?)
https://download.asrock.com/Manual/B460M Pro4ac.pdf
clearly states that 2 RAM sticks should go to A2 and B2 slots for proper operation, A2 for single stick. If it's not working that way it's quite possible that CPU contacts are not making good contacts or otherwise are damaged.
PS. Make sure you reset CMOS/BIOS at every RAM changes.

Reactions: Chrisboi26
Jan 13, 2021
If memory works only in 3 and 4 slots, that means one channel is dead. It can be because of a motherboard or CPU. If you have started your pc with a bad socket, you could burn CPU
I was really hoping i wouldnt have to buy another motherboard, but I'm thinking that is going to be my best bet. Thank you for your responses!