[SOLVED] RAM underperforming?

Sep 15, 2021
Hello fellas.
After reading a couple of threads with the same problem, I'm still unable to figure out what to do.

Apparently my ram is underperforming, according to UserBenchMark.
Link to UserBenchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/46276330

Imagine of CPU-Z Memory:

peo4DbG.png

_

My system:
i7 8700k (OC'd to 4.8ghz @ 1.29v)
3060ti
z370 asus extreme 4
2x 16gb g.skill tridentZ 3600
_

I first started to worry after getting 2 blue screens (driver_irql_not_less_or_equal).
After checking a bit, I tested my memory and followed some steps from several guides to fix this bluescreen.
Also uninstalled all GPU drivers with DDU (according to forums, GPU driver also could lead to this blue screen).

I was checking my system after that and noticed RAM is underperforming.
I already had XMP 2.0 Profil activated and set the RAM speed to 3600 locked.
RAM is also in correct Slot. A2 + B2, dual is activated.

Could updating my BIOS fix it? Or any other tipps?

- Thanks for your time and have a great day. -

Last edited:
Solution
I just swapped out my 2x8 3200Mhz CL14 ram last night for G.skill 2x16 3600Mhz Cl14

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/46284229 while userbenchmark says im 115% outstanding it still says performing below potential. I really wouldnt worry about it.

The 1t/2t is how many clocks the memory controller spends sending a given command to the ram. 1t means that the controller sends the command on one clock cycle, 2t means it sends it for two clock cycles. Some ram can handle 1t settings while others cant, you can change it in the bios but if you start having issues switch it back to 2t.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Hello fellas.
After reading a couple of threads with the same problem, I'm still unable to figure out what to do.

Apparently my ram is underperforming, according to UserBenchMark.
Link: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/46276330

_

My system:
i7 8700k (OC'd to 4.8ghz @ 1.29v)
3060ti
z370 asus extreme 4
2x 16gb g.skill tridentZ 3600
_

I first started to worry after getting 2 blue screens (driver_irql_not_less_or_equal).
After checking a bit, I tested my memory and followed some steps from several guides to fix this bluescreen.
Also uninstalled all GPU drivers with DDU (according to forums, GPU driver also could lead to this blue screen).

I was checking my system after that and noticed RAM is underperforming.
I already had XMP 2.0 Profil activated and set the RAM speed to 3600 locked.
RAM is also in correct Slot. A2 + B2, dual is activated.

Could updating my BIOS fix it? Or any other tipps?

- Thanks for your time and have a great day. -

Your memory is easily within a margin of error on there. Userbenchmark isn't exactly the most high end dead nuts accurate tool. I would say its highly unlikely both that you're doing anything wrong, or that your hardware is performing incorrectly.

I'd be more concerned about your bluescreens. If they aren't resolved back off that overclock first,.

Sep 15, 2021
Your memory is easily within a margin of error on there. Userbenchmark isn't exactly the most high end dead nuts accurate tool. I would say its highly unlikely both that you're doing anything wrong, or that your hardware is performing incorrectly.

I'd be more concerned about your bluescreens. If they aren't resolved back off that overclock first,.

Can't tell yet, no bluescreen since I changed GPU driver + run a /scannow and chkdsk /f /r .

Edit: Maybe worth to tell, 6 days ago I updated my RAM & GPU, cpu and MOBO were the same one I used before with 1060 gb + 16gb ram 3200.
Used the OC CPU before aswell xmp 2.0 (on 3200 only obviously tho with old rams)

Last edited:

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Can't tell yet, no bluescreen since I changed GPU driver + run a /scannow and chkdsk /f /r .

Edit: Maybe worth to tell, 6 days ago I updated my RAM & GPU, cpu and MOBO were the same one I used before with 1060 gb + 16gb ram 3200.
Used the OC CPU before aswell xmp 2.0 (on 3200 only obviously tho with old rams)

Well hopefully then you solved the bluescreen issue.

When it comes to overclocking prior performance isn't always an indicator of current or future performance. You changed hardware and so its possible the memory can't handle the OC you had (you realistically should start from scratch on an OC when you change ram, bumping up clocks and voltage and stress testing etc, the normal process). It's also possible your CPU degraded a bit from the OC. Unlikely but possible. Every chip is different, thats why Overclocking isn't just "put it on these settings and go". Some OC well, some not so much.

Reactions: QweqweqweLive
Sep 15, 2021
Well hopefully then you solved the bluescreen issue.

When it comes to overclocking prior performance isn't always an indicator of current or future performance. You changed hardware and so its possible the memory can't handle the OC you had (you realistically should start from scratch on an OC when you change ram, bumping up clocks and voltage and stress testing etc, the normal process). It's also possible your CPU degraded a bit from the OC. Unlikely but possible. Every chip is different, thats why Overclocking isn't just "put it on these settings and go". Some OC well, some not so much.

Do you also would recommend an BIOS update?
Haven't done that to this MOBO ever so far.

I just swapped out my 2x8 3200Mhz CL14 ram last night for G.skill 2x16 3600Mhz Cl14

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/46284229 while userbenchmark says im 115% outstanding it still says performing below potential. I really wouldnt worry about it.

The 1t/2t is how many clocks the memory controller spends sending a given command to the ram. 1t means that the controller sends the command on one clock cycle, 2t means it sends it for two clock cycles. Some ram can handle 1t settings while others cant, you can change it in the bios but if you start having issues switch it back to 2t.

Solution
Sep 15, 2021
Set command rate to 1T.

2T setting is meant for 4 module configuration. That's why you're getting lowered score.
A BIOS update could help, even with bluescreens too, I would consider it. Also Skynetrising had a good suggestion above as well.

So I was unable to find the setting in my BIOS to set it to T1.
(Using the z370 asus extreme 4) - was checking the DRAM settings (where you set xmp profil & ram rate) but wasn't able to find it.

Might consider a BIOS update aswell, but first I wanted to try out the T1 option.

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED

1t/2t, yes. Has nothing to do with if you have 1 stick, 2 sticks, 50 sticks.
I think of it like this. 2T sends a command twice. 1T only once. This means signal integrity is essential for 1T. No second chances. If anything goes wrong, you get corruption. Timing is very important.
2T works better at higher speeds. Or rather, it actually works, compared to 1T.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
(Using the z370 asus extreme 4) - was checking the DRAM settings (where you set xmp profil & ram rate) but wasn't able to find it.

Might consider a BIOS update aswell, but first I wanted to try out the T1 option.

Actually thinking about it XMP probably locks that setting out. So leave it alone.

Try the BIOS update

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Try the BIOS update
A really old bios he has,

BIOS Date2017-11-24

About rev. 1.30, so even rev. 3.20 which is about a year younger they speake about better ram compatibility. Would be good to upgrade.

You did look in the Advanced Mode under the "OC Tweaker" section? Maybe they chose 2T for better stability when using 3600mhz, but you can always set bios to optimised defaults or do a clear cmos if it somehow fails.

In the benchmarktool is "Outstanding" fine btw.

Reactions: Rogue Leader
You can practically ignore the 'Bench' percentage numbers of Userbenchmark. This is just how well that component performed against their static bench test.
The more important number is the relative performance number on the last line of each of the component's descriptions. Don't even pay attention to the 'performing below potential' crap - just look at the number. If it's 50% or higher then you're good.

Also note that many, many, MANY of the components you are measured against are overclocked. At least for memory, you can compare against only those sticks running at the same speed as yours.

Sep 15, 2021
So I tryed BIOS update, was checking the updates and there were like 6x memory / ram compatibility boost/fixed/stables.
So far no blue screens. Will see tho whats coming.

Thanks for the tipps so far.
Will let you know if something happens.

Btw, is there any good RAM Testing Stresstest?
I heard memtest but do I really need to use memtest via USB?
I remember back in the days you were able to stresstest ram on desktop.

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
So I tryed BIOS update, was checking the updates and there were like 6x memory / ram compatibility boost/fixed/stables.
So far no blue screens. Will see tho whats coming.

Thanks for the tipps so far.
Will let you know if something happens.

Btw, is there any good RAM Testing Stresstest?
I heard memtest but do I really need to use memtest via USB?
I remember back in the days you were able to stresstest ram on desktop.
HCI Memtest, Testmem5 with Anta777 or 1usmus config, Karhu Ram test (last one costs money).