Ram Upgrade 4Gb x2 or 4Gb and 8Gb

Mar 19, 2018
hi i just want to know witch is better for my laptop that I'm trying to play somewhat modern games on usually on lowest settings witch is better two 4gb sticks of ddr 3 or a 4gb stick and a 8gb stick i just want to know because i want to upgrade my laptop and i have found compatable ram upgrades but i want to know witch setup would be better for gaming i also want to say that i cant remove the 4gb stick its saudered to the board also i run on integrated graphics witch runs on system memory

I have an Asus X555LA
I7 5500u
4Gb of ram
1tb hardrive
and i have intel integrated graphics 5500

Solution
The "mix and match" 4+8GB can be problematic - but if it works, titles will vary as far as preference.

A matched 2x4GB "kit" is likely the best route to go.... BUT, for titles capable of using ~8GB themselves, the "more RAM" option may work out a little better overall.

2x4GB matched kit would be my suggestion though.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
The "mix and match" 4+8GB can be problematic - but if it works, titles will vary as far as preference.

A matched 2x4GB "kit" is likely the best route to go.... BUT, for titles capable of using ~8GB themselves, the "more RAM" option may work out a little better overall.

2x4GB matched kit would be my suggestion though.

Solution
Since your 4k ram is already soldered in, you do not have the option of a matched kit.
I suggest you go to a ram web site such as Kingston and access their ram upgrade app.
Enter your motherboard and you will get a list of supported ram upgrades.

If there is an 8gb ram upgrade, buy that.
More ram is always good.
You will get dual channel operation from the first 4gb on each channel, and the odd 4k will be running at single thread speeds.
Dual channel operation will help speed up integrated graphics so if a total of 8gb is ok, then buy the cheaper single 4gb upgrade.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Geofelt, with 8GB + 4GB, that's going to run in single channel regardless, no?

*EDIT* Honestly, I'd forgotten about flex mode, and even when I tracked it down, I didn't think it would still be a think in 2017-18 :lol:.

Dual-Channel Mode—Intel® Flex Memory Technology Mode

The IMC supports Intel Flex Memory Technology Mode. Memory is divided into a
symmetric and asymmetric zone. The symmetric zone starts at the lowest address in
each channel and is contiguous until the asymmetric zone begins or until the top
address of the channel with the smaller capacity is reached. In this mode, the system
runs with one zone of dual-channel mode and one zone of single-channel mode,
simultaneously, across the whole memory array.

Could be the best of both worlds.... although there's still the potential that the soldered 4GB + any 8GB module may not "play nice" together. 50/50 probably.

I think the Intel ram controller is smart enough to know which portion ram is dual channel capable and which is not.
On my Z170 motherboard manual, you can install different sized dims.
It says that the system maps the lower sized dim for dual channel operation and any excess memory from the larger stick will be mapped as single channel operation.
Is this true for a laptop?
I do not know for certain, but since the technology is similar, I think so.

Yes, matching is a potential issue.
That is why I suggested the Kingston app which has given me good match results before with laptops.
If the ram fails, you will at least get Kingston support.

No doubt, other ram vendors have the same capability.

Mar 19, 2018

thank you for the help Barty and i have decided that I'm going to go for another 4gb stick of the same specs as the one that is saudedered in.