[SOLVED] RAM upgrade capacity has increased since BIOS update. Can this be trusted?

Jul 24, 2020
My computer showed max RAM capacity of 8gb and the Dell forums say the same . But after BIOS update its showing 16gb capacity in cmd. I checked using (wmic memphysical get MaxCapacity, MemoryDevices) in command prompt before and after BIOS update. Can I trust it?
My laptop model is Dell Inspiron 14z N411z.

Solution
This is very common. Larger modules become avaialble over time, and always double the size of previous ones. Dell liststheir specs. based on what they sold at the time the computer was new, and doesn't update them. You can almost always run 2x RAM capacity later on. Look at the spec. of the chipset itself to see what actual capacity is.

Lutfij

Titan
Use CPU-Z and see what the memory tab shows you as well as the SPD tab. A screenshot for the tabs would help us two fold. Also, which BIOS version are you on currently? On second thoughts, which OS are you on? Windows 10 is not officially supported by the laptop.

Jul 24, 2020
YcorKs.png
8MAjBa.png
ft7Z8d.png
Thanks for your reply. I'm running Windows 10 Pro right now and the BIOS version says Dell Inc. A00, 6/24/2011.

This is very common. Larger modules become avaialble over time, and always double the size of previous ones. Dell liststheir specs. based on what they sold at the time the computer was new, and doesn't update them. You can almost always run 2x RAM capacity later on. Look at the spec. of the chipset itself to see what actual capacity is.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS