Question Ram upgrade causing issues

Jun 27, 2024
I have an Asus x515ea and I upgrade the ram from 4gb to 16gb and I made sure everything on the sticks matched.
When I put the new ram in, it booted and everything was good the ram was recognized but after a couple minutes the screen glitches and goes black.

Now whenever booting with the new ram the screen is blank and the laptop heats up and when booting with old ram the laptop runs fine but the ram isn't recognized.
I'm not sure what to do.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

I have an Asus x515ea and I upgrade the ram from 4gb to 16gb and I made sure everything on the sticks matched
Can you pass on the make and models of the rams? A picture of the stickered information on the sticks would also help us.

Did you make sure your laptop is on the latest BIOS version?

Jun 27, 2024
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

I have an Asus x515ea and I upgrade the ram from 4gb to 16gb and I made sure everything on the sticks matched
Can you pass on the make and models of the rams? A picture of the stickered information on the sticks would also help us.

Did you make sure your laptop is on the latest BIOS version?
are these okay? I tried the bios update but it made no difference.
BUbnpPI.jpg
A

xXzgGy3.jpg

It looks like this is one of the models with soldered memory and a SODIMM slot which limits what you can install. While the CPU can support 16GB modules that doesn't mean the laptop is configured to deal with it correctly. Given the Asus specifications it looks like it's supposed to only support 8GB SODIMMs.

Just a warning: any memory capacity you install that is higher than the soldered capacity will run in single channel mode and thus be a lot slower when accessing.

Jun 27, 2024
It looks like this is one of the models with soldered memory and a SODIMM slot which limits what you can install. While the CPU can support 16GB modules that doesn't mean the laptop is configured to deal with it correctly. Given the Asus specifications it looks like it's supposed to only support 8GB SODIMMs.

Just a warning: any memory capacity you install that is higher than the soldered capacity will run in single channel mode and thus be a lot slower when accessing.
then i was wrong i wont try the 16 anymore but im still having trouble now getting the orignal 4gb to be recognized and usable

Jun 2, 2024
I tried the battery it didnt work and online i saw that this models max was 16 so it would be possible with others having done it. But right now im just hoping i can get the original to work so i can still use my laptop otherwise i dont know what to do
I don't know what you've been doing, but regardless of whether it's a laptop, when we add or remove memory, we always take out batteries and anything related to power, the only thing you can do is damage, try what I'm saying and put the old one in, it will surely accept it again

Jun 27, 2024
I don't know what you've been doing, but regardless of whether it's a laptop, when we add or remove memory, we always take out batteries and anything related to power, the only thing you can do is damage, try what I'm saying and put the old one in, it will surely accept it again
im not sure what to say i removed the battery all of it i held the power button for 30 seconds then i put everything back but its still not recognizing the orignal ram in the slot

then i was wrong i wont try the 16 anymore but im still having trouble now getting the orignal 4gb to be recognized and usable
Unfortunately I'm not really sure what all you can do with regards to troubleshooting the memory not being recognized. The only things I can think of here is pulling the memory and making sure there's no damage to the pins/debris in there on the slot. Otherwise the only thing I can think of would be resetting the BIOS.

Jun 27, 2024
Unfortunately I'm not really sure what all you can do with regards to troubleshooting the memory not being recognized. The only things I can think of here is pulling the memory and making sure there's no damage to the pins/debris in there on the slot. Otherwise the only thing I can think of would be resetting the BIOS.
you changed the bios, whichever of the 2 you read, don't bother the rest
thank you for your guys help i appreciate it im just gonna give up and cry to sleep

TRENDING THREADS