[SOLVED] Ram upgrade for laptop

tlavanway3

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2014
hello i would like to upgrade the ram in my laptop that i just bought, it only has a single 8gb stick of ram and i would like to upgrade it to 16gb, mainly for the sole purpose to having duel channel because better gaming performance and overall performance.

HP 14-Dq1077WM

Core i3 1005g1
8gb SODIMM DDR4 SDRAM
256gb m.2

i want to get "gaming ram" like corsair Vengeance but i don't know if its compatible.

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
i don't think it says it does on the HP website but that doesn't mean it wont work.
Sigh, let's try again shall we? Look up your laptop's manual tab on HP's support site and locate the Maintenance and Service Guide, then you will see a list of parts used for your particular SKU of the laptop.

FYI, that YT video doesn't show anything about your laptop, only a generic video about gaming with rams in dual channel and single channel. It doesn't even mention the make and model of the laptop used in the video. You shouldn't believe everything that's posted on YT.

You could try one more thing, download and install CPU-Z, look at the motherboard's tab and see if you can see a chipset. That will confirm what your chipset is...

Lutfij

Titan
Your laptop doesn't come up on my search for the device on HP's support site. Going by what you're saying, if there's only one slot for the ram to go in and it's populated with a single stick of 8GB, then you won't be able to avail dual channel memory mode regardless of what capacity ram stick you drop in there. You will need two physical sticks of ram with identical frequency, make and model for dual channel to take center stage.

tlavanway3

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2014
Hello i have a HP 14 Dq1000 Series laptop and my current laptop has 1, 8gb stick running at 2666mhz and i wanted to upgrade to 16gb ram and have duel channel but i'm wondering if my laptop will work with 3200 mhz ram. i don't think it says it does on the HP website but that doesn't mean it wont work.

i3-1005g1 w/UHD G1 Graphics
8gb 2666mhz Single Channel
256gb M.2 SSD

i know the laptop supports 16gb of 2666mhz ram, and i also know that the i3 1005g1 supports 3200mhz but i don't know if the motherboard in the laptop supports that speed. i want to do a little bit of gaming on this laptop and the fact is has single channel ram is Severely crippling my FPS.

Intel UHD G1 + i3 1005G1 (Single Channel 8GB vs Dual Channel 16GB) - YouTube

Lutfij

Titan
What I meant was that I couldn't find the service manual for the laptop, which apparently has the necessary information for your laptop and any potential upgrades as well as the number of slots on it for the ram upgrade.

To add, the info you've linked shows that the ram in the laptop is DDR4-2666MHz while the IMC on the processor can handle DDR4-3200MHz which leads me to assume that the laptop's motherboard chipset is the limitation, you're going to be able to avail DDR4-2666MHz speeds alone.

Go here, enter your serial number and you should be seeing a list of manuals/documentation. Of which the service/maintenance manual will have a list of all parts for your SKU of laptops.

tlavanway3

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2014
Hello i have a HP 14 Dq1000 Series laptop and my current laptop has 1, 8gb stick running at 2666mhz and i wanted to upgrade to 16gb ram and have duel channel but i'm wondering if my laptop will work with 3200 mhz ram. i don't think it says it does on the HP website but that doesn't mean it wont work.

i3-1005g1 w/UHD G1 Graphics
8gb 2666mhz Single Channel
256gb M.2 SSD

i know the laptop supports 16gb of 2666mhz ram, and i also know that the i3 1005g1 supports 3200mhz but i don't know if the motherboard in the laptop supports that speed. i want to do a little bit of gaming on this laptop and the fact is has single channel ram is Severely crippling my FPS.

Intel UHD G1 + i3 1005G1 (Single Channel 8GB vs Dual Channel 16GB) - YouTube

Lutfij

Titan
i don't think it says it does on the HP website but that doesn't mean it wont work.
Sigh, let's try again shall we? Look up your laptop's manual tab on HP's support site and locate the Maintenance and Service Guide, then you will see a list of parts used for your particular SKU of the laptop.

FYI, that YT video doesn't show anything about your laptop, only a generic video about gaming with rams in dual channel and single channel. It doesn't even mention the make and model of the laptop used in the video. You shouldn't believe everything that's posted on YT.

You could try one more thing, download and install CPU-Z, look at the motherboard's tab and see if you can see a chipset. That will confirm what your chipset is capable of regardless of what the processor can or can't do.

Last edited:
Solution