[SOLVED] Ram upgrade for optiplex 390

Sep 23, 2021
Hello,
I was wondering if anyone could help me with a memory question I had..I bought an optiplex 390 for $40 and I'm trying to upgrade the memory..it has 2gb stick and I'm trying to upgrade to 8gb..it has 2 slots I'm trying to fill with 2, 4 gb sticks..I went on the crucial website to find out what ram I needed..they had a couple options that looked very similar but with a couple noticable differences..the first two pictures are what crucial says is compatible.. ones cheaper then the other and I'd like to know the difference between the two..I noticed one says UDIMM and the other one does not..but from what I'm reading online, it needs UDIMM..is the other one that doesn't state that it's UDIMM still UDIMM ? .also reading online it says that my computer uses 1333 MHz ram but I think the two from crucial ram are 1600 MHz.any way..thank you for anyone that helps.
Nick

Solution
For games, you really are going to want to get the max ram, that old system can handle. You may want to look into a used 750ti, if you can find one that will fit your particular case. I am assuming you have the SFF version. 1050/1050ti are also options. A 1650 is pretty pricey, so that one is probably out of the question. RX 560 - 1024 being another option, as long as it is one without an external PCI-E connection.
Sep 23, 2021
If you do a comparison, of those ram models, they all show up as Udimm, in the specs. 1600mhz ram can run at 1333, if your system isn't capable of 1600.
Thank you very much for the responsei just found the compare option..I must have missed it..so why is one of them cheaper... Everything looks the same except the configuration..what's the difference..one say 256....and the more expensive says 512

Sep 23, 2021
If you do a comparison, of those ram models, they all show up as Udimm, in the specs. 1600mhz ram can run at 1333, if your system isn't capable of 1600.
Thank you very much for the responsei just found the compare option..I must have missed it..so why is one of them cheaper... Everything looks the same except the configuration..what's the difference..one say 256....and the more expensive says 512
256 and 512 is the size of each memory module, on the ram stick. The 256 is used on the lower capacity dimms, and the 512 is for the larger ones.
Do you mean that the 4gb is 256 and the 8 gb is 512? That's what some ppl are telling me on different sites...but if you look at the 4 options on that link...there are two different types of ram...and they give you two options for each type of ram...4gb and 8gb....for the cheaper option..it says 256 for both the 4fb and 8gb....and for the more expensive one it says 512 for both the 4gb and 8 gb...so I don't understand what they are saying

Sep 23, 2021
256 and 512 is the size of each memory module, on the ram stick. The 256 is used on the lower capacity dimms, and the 512 is for the larger ones.
Ohh so it's the dimms...I bought an optiplex 390 real cheap..it came with 2gbs..it has two slots so I was gonna get 2x4gb sticks...I'm gonna get an Nvidia 1030 get card and use it for some light gaming.ibknow it's an older computer and it obviously has its limits so would the capacity of the dimms make much of a difference, will I be ae to notice it..if it were you..which would you pick?

logainofhades

Titan
For games, you really are going to want to get the max ram, that old system can handle. You may want to look into a used 750ti, if you can find one that will fit your particular case. I am assuming you have the SFF version. 1050/1050ti are also options. A 1650 is pretty pricey, so that one is probably out of the question. RX 560 - 1024 being another option, as long as it is one without an external PCI-E connection.

Solution