Ram upgrade help!!

stefanaras1111

Honorable
Aug 15, 2017
Hello guys i have Asrock AB350 PRO4 motherboard this is my second pc that i dont use so much so when i built it i thought 8gb will be enough sto i bought 2x4gb ram than 1x8gb ram(so i can upgrade it in the future) so i have (Crucial Ballistix Sport LT Gray 8GB DDR4-2666MHz (BLS2C4G4D26BFSB)) i think i can buy one more dim of 4gb or maybe 2x4gb more ram.In my mobo site it say that the mobo support only 2modules of this ram what will happen if i place one more 4gb dim or 2 dims(12gb or 16gb total)?

Solution
You should populate the dimm slots evenly. If you're working with a dual channel kit, then you have them in slots 1 and 2. If you're working with a quad channel kit or two dual channel kits, then you put them in all four slots, logically. I'm not an advocate of going with an uneven set, like three sticks.

If you can source the exact same kit you purchased earlier, then go ahead. If you're looking to know what the maximum ram capacity your board supports, it's 64GB, so that's 16Gb per slot. Personally I'd have gone with DDR4-3200MHz kits from the get go. Ryzen likes ram that are 3200MHz.

Last note, make sure you're on the latest BIOS update.

Lutfij

Titan
You should populate the dimm slots evenly. If you're working with a dual channel kit, then you have them in slots 1 and 2. If you're working with a quad channel kit or two dual channel kits, then you put them in all four slots, logically. I'm not an advocate of going with an uneven set, like three sticks.

If you can source the exact same kit you purchased earlier, then go ahead. If you're looking to know what the maximum ram capacity your board supports, it's 64GB, so that's 16Gb per slot. Personally I'd have gone with DDR4-3200MHz kits from the get go. Ryzen likes ram that are 3200MHz.

Last note, make sure you're on the latest BIOS update.

Solution

stefanaras1111

Honorable
Aug 15, 2017

I am on the latest bios i have a 2x4gb kit of rams and yes they run in dual channel right now i dont know what will happen if i upgrade with one more signe stick of 4gb ram i read something about flex mode that the kit of the 2 dims still run in dual channel and the other dim run in single channel does this mobo support this?

Joe_142

Commendable
Jul 3, 2016
would it be an upgrade? sure. Would both channels be uneven? absolutely. Its not an upgrade, dual channel memory needs to be balanced on both channels for optimal performance, theres a reason you cant buy a triple dimm kit. You'd get more capacity, but unbalanced channels. Theres no such thing as running two dimms in dual and another dimm in single at the same time I have no idea where you got that