[SOLVED] RAM upgrade help

Overgrownturnip

Honorable
May 24, 2014
Hi guys,
I built my PC back in 2013/14 and have been sitting happy with it since. I recently tried to upgrade from 8gb of RAM to 16gb but have ran into some issues.

MY MOBO is a Z87 G43 and the exact new ram I bought is:

"HyperX HX318C10FBK2/16 FURY Black, 16 GB, 1866 MHz DDR3 CL10 DIMM (Kit of 2)"

As far as I am aware, my MOBO should be happy running this and it should be compatible. However, my PC crashes randomly with the new RAM installed. After boot it may crash after two minutes or ten minutes but it does eventually crash. So my questions are:
  1. Am I missing something obvious? Compatibility issue?
  2. Will adjusting ram settings in BIOS help?
  3. Is this simply dodgy RAM?
  4. Any things I can do to troubleshoot?
Appreciate any help you guys can offer. Cheers.

Solution
have you manually set the memory speeds, timing, voltage or used a proper XMP profile?

first make sure you have them installed as the motherboard manufacturer states in the user manual;
usually a 2 module kit will go in DIMM slots 2 & 4.

try resetting BIOS options to defaults.

if that doesn't have any effect;
try each RAM module one at a time. there's a chance one stick may be bad.
have you manually set the memory speeds, timing, voltage or used a proper XMP profile?

first make sure you have them installed as the motherboard manufacturer states in the user manual;

Solution

Overgrownturnip

Honorable
May 24, 2014

So I reset my BIOS settings to default and it appears to have fixed the issue. I don't remember ever messing around much, other than setting the load order so I am surprised that worked. Left my PC idle for half an hour and no crash occutlred, then played a game for a couple of hours and had no issue, so thanks for the suggestion my friend.