[SOLVED] Ram Upgrade Issue

Jul 17, 2021
Hi kind of a PC noob here I am having a strange issue as I just upgraded from 16gb of ram to 32gb of ram. When I have all 4 ram sticks installed my PC boots very slowly and I noticed significant chugging and slowdowns in games and even on just the desktop compared to before. I also noticed that my CPU appears to be running at a high usage %, 90+ at some times but this issue does not happen when I only have 2 sticks installed. New ram is
CORSAIR Vengeance 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 CMZ32GX3M4X1600C10

I know it is old news to get DDR3 ram these days but it's what upgrades my PC could take or so I thought. I checked voltages, timing, ect in my bios settings and everything appears fine.

I tested each stick individually, no issues, I also tested each stick paired with another stick, no issues either. I even tried 3/4 sticks installed just to see what would happen on the boot and still no issues. But when all 4 go in I get this problem and I have tested all 4 of my ram slots too and no issue with them(when I tested 3 sticks I tested it twice with both of the open slots.)

CPU intel i7-2600 cpu @ 3.4GHz
GPU gtx 1060 3gb
MOBO: Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD3P

I am really at a loss of what the issue might be, again my PC works fine with 2 and even 3 installed but when the 4th goes in I get this issue.

Solution
Hi Belmail (y)and Welcome to the Forum.:dawa:

Download Memtest86 to a USB. Boot from the USB and run 4 passes on all your RAM. If there are any errors at all then RMA the full kit.

Also it does state in your CPU specs that your CPU supports DDR3 1066/1333
Your MB supports up to 2133Mhz so no problems there.
There may be an XMP profile so check your Bios or refer to CPUz in Windows.

Download Memtest86 to a USB. Boot from the USB and run 4 passes on all your RAM. If there are any errors at all then RMA the full kit.

Last edited:
Solution
Jul 17, 2021

Hey thanks for the welcome!

I installed CPU-Z but again i'm not very techy so I am not exactly sure what to be looking out for. I don't have a USB as of current, mostly because I haven't needed one since college 10 years ago. I tried to sift through my BIO s as best I could, as far as I could tell it all looked correct. What should I be doing in regards to the XMP profile?

When manufactured some RAM kits have an SPD (Serial Presence Detect) which Bios reads looking for the type of RAM it's rated frequency, Timings and voltage. An XMP profile can be selected in Bios and is normally off by default.
If all is OK then post will hand over to the OS.

During post if the SPD does not correspond to a safe set of timings and voltage the Bios will attempt to train your RAM to determine a safe set of values to allow a successful Boot. These values are not always the best for performance and you may have to tweak your Bios.

Now when in Windows CPUz, you can check your SPD details of each Dimm slot, and the current DRAM frequency. By checking each slot you can determine such things as the P/N of your RAM kit and if you have an XMP profile for easy Overclocking.
Selecting an XMP profile is not guaranteed to always work in which case you would need to manually program Bios. Sometimes a minor increase in Dram voltage is required or selecting a lower frequency.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2021
When manufactured some RAM kits have an SPD (Serial Presence Detect) which Bios reads looking for the type of RAM it's rated frequency, Timings and voltage. An XMP profile can be selected in Bios and is normally off by default.
If all is OK then post will hand over to the OS.

During post if the SPD does not correspond to a safe set of timings and voltage the Bios will attempt to train your RAM to determine a safe set of values to allow a successful Boot. These values are not always the best for performance and you may have to tweak your Bios.

Now when in Windows CPUz, you can check your SPD details of each Dimm slot, and the current DRAM frequency. By checking each slot you can determine such things as the P/N of your RAM kit and if you have an XMP profile for easy Overclocking.
Selecting an XMP profile is not guaranteed to always work in which case you would need to manually program Bios. Sometimes a minor increase in Dram voltage is required or selecting a lower frequency.
So I went in to my bios and turned off the XMP profile and manually changed the frequency, timing, and added a little voltage but still the same result. My CPU usage is seemingly through the roof still. Back down to 2 sticks and works fine again. I am really at a loss because I don't think it is an issue with the ram itself.

Yea, I would say the mixing of your differing kit's is the issue.

Ensure your Bios is up to date and check if what you want to use are listed on the MB QVL and that way you know they are tested and known to work.

Regarding your CPU usage, go to TASK MANAGER> (Control alt delete)

Here you can check just what is hogging your system. You can halt certain processes but be careful to make sure you do not Stop/delete a process of importance.

Jul 17, 2021
Yea, I would say the mixing of your differing kit's is the issue.

Ensure your Bios is up to date and check if what you want to use are listed on the MB QVL and that way you know they are tested and known to work.

Regarding your CPU usage, go to TASK MANAGER> (Control alt delete)

Here you can check just what is hogging your system. You can halt certain processes but be careful to make sure you do not Stop/delete a process of importance.
It's not a mixed kit, it was a kit of 4x8 gb sticks. when 2 are in it works perfect, 4 in is the issue. I have been checking my CPU in task manager, there's nothing running that isnt normally. It just seems like my CPU is not performing as well when all 4 sticks are installed.