[SOLVED] Ram upgrade issues

Jun 20, 2020
Hello,

So recently I tried upgrading my RAM from G Skill Ripjaws 8GB DDR4 to G Skill Ripjaws 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz. My motherboard is a AsRock Z390M. I put the sticks in and turned on the PC. All fans turned on, keyboard lit up. But I was getting no signal to my monitor, didn't even post or get to bios. I tried using the old ram sticks, one of each, removing GPU and plugging it back in, using different HDMI and DP cables. No fix. I did notice when I put the ram in for the 3rd time, the slots said 1.2V, I looked at the new ram, it said 1.35V. Could I have fried my motherboard? I am confused because I put it in on PCpartpicker and got no voltage issues, and my mobo can handle of to 4000mhz.

I submitted a ticket to NZXT because its one of their BLD prebuilts and I was wondering if I could get warranty but if I can get an idea of another solution or whats going on that would be great.

Solution
You might have nudged something when installing the new RAM. I would check cables in connection to RAM and GPU. Like 24-pin cable to motherboard, that is usually close to RAM slots. Is it all the way in? All 24 pins in? Usually the last 4 pins are separeted but they still need to be in. Check GPU power and monitor cable, push the GPU all the way in.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Is the 16GB made up of 2x 8GB sticks or one?

Did the old stick (or sticks?) work?

Any ram by default will work at 1.2v at 2133/2400 MHz until XMP is enabled in the Bios to configure ram for faster rated speeds and it'll set voltage as required, 1.35v 2933+ speeds.

Are there any lit debug codes on the motherboard? My suspicion atm is ram isn't being seated properly, all the way in the slot. Ram slots to use if your motherboard has four dimm slots, 1x stick: 2nd slot from cpu and second stick in the 4th slot.

Jun 20, 2020
Is the 16GB made up of 2x 8GB sticks or one?

Did the old stick (or sticks?) work?

Any ram by default will work at 1.2v at 2133/2400 MHz until XMP is enabled in the Bios to configure ram for faster rated speeds and it'll set voltage as required, 1.35v 2933+ speeds.

Are there any lit debug codes on the motherboard? My suspicion atm is ram isn't being seated properly, all the way in the slot. Ram slots to use if your motherboard has four dimm slots, 1x stick: 2nd slot from cpu and second stick in the 4th slot.
I tried the old ram, both and individual sticks and no fix. I do not see anything lit up on the motherboard. The MOBO is also an ITX board so there is only two slots. also, it is two 8GB sticks

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
You might have nudged something when installing the new RAM. I would check cables in connection to RAM and GPU. Like 24-pin cable to motherboard, that is usually close to RAM slots. Is it all the way in? All 24 pins in? Usually the last 4 pins are separeted but they still need to be in. Check GPU power and monitor cable, push the GPU all the way in.

Solution