Question RAM upgrade made game very laggy ?

Jul 13, 2023
I just upgraded my Ram sticks today. I went from 2x 8gb ram sticks to 4x 16gb 3200mhz, sticks. (Same brand "corsair, vengeance rgb pro SL")
So I went from 16gb total - 64gb total.

Installed them, my game is lagging super hard now. Which makes zero sense. My motherboard can hold up to 128 gb ram.

I have tried all the things I found online / videos. Disk Cleanup, disk defrag and more. It is in Dual channel. Not sure what else I can try or do to fix this.
They are all lit up, so I am assuming they are all working?

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-10400F CPU @ 2.90GHz 2.90 GHz
Installed RAM 64.0 GB (62.5 GB usable)
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

PassMark

Distinguished
I would re-install old sticks to confirm the issues was really RAM related and not co-incidence with some other unrelated issued (e.g. slow internet)

Then if it really does seem to be related to the RAM, run some synthetic RAM benchmarks to quantify the RAM speeds in MB/Sec.

Then check BIOS settings (especially XMP RAM clock speeds).

Jul 13, 2023
I would re-install old sticks to confirm the issues was really RAM related and not co-incidence with some other unrelated issued (e.g. slow internet)

Then if it really does seem to be related to the RAM, run some synthetic RAM benchmarks to quantify the RAM speeds in MB/Sec.

Then check BIOS settings (especially XMP RAM clock speeds).
I just took out slots 2/4. Ran with 32 gb. Runs smoother but still laggier.. Put the 2/4 back into it. Ran tests you mentioned. Screencapped them all, and put into 1 image. Here is the results.

Keeps telling me to go to setup when I boot up. No idea what to do there either lmao. This is tests and what not with all 4 sticks in. I have 2 in right now. Idk what to do... :( Spent over $200 to upgrade my ram and its worse lag on the games than it was with the 16... lol

image.png

PassMark

Distinguished
I am still doubting that switching between 2 and 4 sticks of RAM causes *intermittent* game lag.
RAM is either slow or fast. It doesn't alternate between a slow and fast state in the middle of a game.

Can you rerun the same tests as above with the original two sticks & compare?

If it was slow all the time however, then it might be somewhat RAM related.

Also that sudden dip in CPU temperature (83C to 70C) in which I assume was the middle of the CPU test might be worth checking. Did it thermally throttle?

Jul 13, 2023
I am still doubting that switching between 2 and 4 sticks of RAM causes *intermittent* game lag.
RAM is either slow or fast. It doesn't alternate between a slow and fast state in the middle of a game.

Can you rerun the same tests as above with the original two sticks & compare?

If it was slow all the time however, then it might be somewhat RAM related.

Also that sudden dip in CPU temperature (83C to 70C) in which I assume was the middle of the CPU test might be worth checking. Did it thermally throttle?
I am not super familiar with computers honestly. I know enough to get by. Could the ram push the test to make it dip in temperature?

I took 2 out and kept 1 and 3 slots in. It seemed fine (before I enabled xmp)
Put the other 2 in, enabled XMP, still super laggy but not quite as bad as it was before.

No, I can't run the tests with the old sticks. Wife tossed them assuming they were not needed anymore. :\
-I was at work and they were in a spot she did not agree with.....

Kona45primo

Honorable
Jan 16, 2021
Check to see that the timings in bios are in line what they should be. Often times XMP profiles may not load the optimized values for all timings, heck sometimes even the voltage is off. If you're running 2 sticks are you sure slot 1&3 are the recomded slots? Often times it's 2&4. The motherboard manual will.confirm. Is your Bios up to date?

After confirming the above is correct run memtest to confirm you aren't getting any errors.

Jul 13, 2023
Check to see that the timings in bios are in line what they should be. Often times XMP profiles may not load the optimized values for all timings, heck sometimes even the voltage is off. If you're running 2 sticks are you sure slot 1&3 are the recomded slots? Often times it's 2&4. The motherboard manual will.confirm. Is your Bios up to date?

After confirming the above is correct run memtest to confirm you aren't getting any errors.
How would I know if it is where it should be? The ram sticks box says 3200mhz (I believe this is for both 16 gb ram sticks, and I have 2 sets of 2.) When I ran with only 2, I put it in slots 1 and 3. (Where the old ones were)