[SOLVED] RAM upgrade on new laptop from Single to DUAL Channel Questions

FLR

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2011
Hello!
I recently bought a ASUS RoG Strix Hero II (GL504GM) laptop and was disappointed in the gaming performance which was not on par with the benchmarks I had seen online. I just realized that this is because I only have 1 stick of RAM in my unit. I have 1x 16GB DDR4 2666 and an empty slot. I want to upgrade to DUAL channel but I have some uncertainties.

First, I don't understand the concept of DUAL channel fully, if I add another 16GB stick to my empty slot then will it function as DUAL channel (with 32gb in total)? Or do I need to buy a 2x8GB kit which is specifically made to be DUAL channel and just throw out my current 16GB?
In the CPU-Z screenshots (see links below) in the Memory tab the channel says "Single". Is this because I only have one stick or does it mean my current stick will not function together as DUAL if another stick was added?
Screenshots: Memory tab and SPD tab from CPU-Z

Second, my RAM manufacturer is SK Hynix (seen in CPU-Z). I can't find 16GB ram sticks of this exact manufacturer on Amazon for Belgium (where I live). So I was thinking of buying a Crucial CT16G4SFD8266 16Go since it's quite affordable and adding it to my empty slot. I don't understand all the technicalities of RAM specs but it has the same speed, voltage and CL19 as my current RAM. Would this work as DUAL channel then?

Last edited:
Reactions: Viktor4645544
Solution
Or do I need to buy a 2x8GB kit which is specifically made to be DUAL channel
You do not NEED 2 of the same RAM to run in dual channel, theoretically, they could be any set of RAM, just ideally similar to minimise timing differences.
In the CPU-Z screenshots (see links below) in the Memory tab the channel says "Single". Is this because I only have one stick
Correct, this is because you are running 1 stick, so it is running in Single channel.

HOWEVER I would recommend you getting rid of the Hynix module anyway because:

Mixing RAM modules is a 50/50 gamble. RAM modules are only guaranteed compatibility in the form sold (from the exact same pack). Even modules of the exact same model are not guaranteed.

The...

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Or do I need to buy a 2x8GB kit which is specifically made to be DUAL channel
You do not NEED 2 of the same RAM to run in dual channel, theoretically, they could be any set of RAM, just ideally similar to minimise timing differences.
In the CPU-Z screenshots (see links below) in the Memory tab the channel says "Single". Is this because I only have one stick
Correct, this is because you are running 1 stick, so it is running in Single channel.

Mixing RAM modules is a 50/50 gamble. RAM modules are only guaranteed compatibility in the form sold (from the exact same pack). Even modules of the exact same model are not guaranteed.

The manufacturing process for each RAM module changes frequently, so I could actually buy a particular model RAM module one day, then buy the exact same model the next month, and they will not work nicely with one another, as despite being the same model, they have been made differently. This is why RAM is only guaranteed in the form sold (from the same pack). Not saying it never works, but it's a gamble.

Best practice and what I personally always recommend, is avoiding the potential headache by buying a whole new pack. As the last thing you want to do is spend money to find out they don't play nicely together.

Solution

FLR

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2011

The manufacturing process for each RAM module changes frequently, so I could actually buy a particular model RAM module one day, then buy the exact same model the next month, and they will not work nicely with one another, as despite being the same model, they have been made differently. This is why RAM is only guaranteed in the form sold (from the same pack). Not saying it never works, but it's a gamble.

Best practice and what I personally always recommend, is avoiding the potential headache by buying a whole new pack. As the last thing you want to do is spend money to find out they don't play nicely together.
Thanks for the clarifications. But in the end I did end up buying the Crucial RAM. I read on other sources that HyperX, Ballistix and Crucial RAM would function on my laptop model specifically. Although the first 2 are more praised, and have very similar specs to mine, only the latency is lower. Crucial was the only one which had the same latency among the other important specifications. Moreover, I also saw a few reviews on Amazon.com of people who added the Crucial ram to their Strix Scar or Hero laptop and 2 of them mentioned they had a stick of Hynix originally and the Crucial stick worked perfectly in dual channel. The chances of it not working for me should be pretty low. So I just went for it, as I hate the idea of completely removing 16gb when I just bought the damn laptop. Worst case scenario I'll return it and get 2 sticks then.
My RAM comes next week, I'll post an update after I install it.

Reactions: PC Tailor

FLR

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2011
UPDATE:
I got the Crucial 16gb RAM stick. I installed it and it works perfectly in DUAL channel with the Hynix. Performance in games increased drastically. It went from 160-200fps in CS GO to 250-300. In Overwatch I had 100-120 fps on HIGH and now I have 170-200. Never knew how important Dual Channel RAM was before this.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
UPDATE:
I got the Crucial 16gb RAM stick. I installed it and it works perfectly in DUAL channel with the Hynix. Performance in games increased drastically. It went from 160-200fps in CS GO to 250-300. In Overwatch I had 100-120 fps on HIGH and now I have 170-200. Never knew how important Dual Channel RAM was before this.
Glad it's gotten working for you, just remember if you make any configuration changes such as OCs, mix ram may cause problems there too, hopefully not, but just a possibility to consider down the line.

Just remember to select a best answer when you are happy so others visiting the forum can see.

FLR

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2011
Glad it's gotten working for you, just remember if you make any configuration changes such as OCs, mix ram may cause problems there too, hopefully not, but just a possibility to consider down the line.

Just remember to select a best answer when you are happy so others visiting the forum can see.
I most likely won't do any overclocks but it's good to know. Thanks for the help!