Pedro Sipf

Reputable
Feb 1, 2017
Hello guys,

I am looking for a RAM upgrade right now and I need your help.

Right now I'm running a ryzen 1600 (3.8Ghz OC) on a Strix B350-F.
I'd like to upgrade from my 2x4GB 2400 kit to something faster with more capacity.

While searching, I came across a 16GB 3000 kit of G.Skill Trident Z neo and I love it.
Model No: G.SKILL F4-3000C16D-16GTZN

Will this run with my existing hardware? I heard that my platform is (or was?) a little picky with RAM and I'd like to hear your opinion/experiences before pulling the trigger.
I am willing to update my BIOS beforehand.

If not, will the Trident Z kits which have my board listed in their QVL on G.Skill's website work?

Thanks in advance.

Solution
Hello guys,

I'd like to upgrade from my 2x4GB 2400 kit to something faster with more capacity.

While searching, I came across a 16GB 3000 kit of G.Skill Trident Z neo and I love it.

Will this run with my existing hardware? I heard that my platform is (or was?) a little picky with RAM and I'd like to hear your opinion/experiences before pulling the trigger.

If not, will the Trident Z kits which have my board listed in their QVL on G.Skill's website work?

Thanks in advance.

I have a work machine using a 2700 on an Asus...
Apr 6, 2020
Hello Pedro Sipf,

I have the same motherboard as you and have installed Trident Z RGB 16GB RAM on it and it has worked perfectly for over 4 months. I believe this will run with your existing hardware and will not have any problems. But to be safe, check the QVL.

Reactions: Pedro Sipf
Hello guys,

Thanks in advance.

I have a work machine using a 2700 on an Asus Prime X370 board and I've had to reduce memory clocks for stability issues (running at 2 x 16gb 3200mhz kit at 2933 to ensure stability). Nothing wrong with any of the components, that is just the highest speed the board + memory combo is happy at and that is confirmed by Asus by there memory QVL testing. The more modern 400 and 500 series boards are better (even with first gen Ryzen) but with a B350 board you are probably going to be limited on what speed you can achieve...

Here is a link to the download for the memory QVL list for your board, I would have a look through there at different options:
https://www.asus.com/uk/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-B350-F-GAMING/HelpDesk_QVL/

Looking though it there are only 2 kits that passed the test at 3200.... that said if you have to run a little slower (e.g. 2933 or 2667) it's not going to have a significant impact on performance, especially if you can tune your timings.

With the Ryzen 3000 series launch TechPowerup did an interesting test comparing high speed DDR 4 vs slower speeds with tuned timings and found a slower kit tuned up was often as fast as an expensive 3800 mhz kit.

Reactions: Pedro Sipf
Solution

Pedro Sipf

Reputable
Feb 1, 2017
OK! The kit is not on the QVL but I'm fine with it running a little slower. I'll still wait before purchasing (maybe someone else had other experiences); thanks for your help though! I appreciate it!

Reactions: cdrkf