Question Ram upgrade problem

crushercam13

Prominent
Dec 26, 2018
I recently upgraded my ram from 16gb XPG ADATA 2400mhz to Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz.

Motherboard: B450m Bazooka (compatible with ram up to 3466mhz)

GPU: RX 580 4gb
CPU: Ryzen 2700x (ovcerclocked to 4,1ghz)
PSU: Thermaltake 600w Smart 80+ white

As soon as I installed the ram, it detected a change in ram. It asked if I wanted to run default values or change it in bios. I went to bios and it still said 2400mhz, so I upped it to 3200mhz. After this it just kept turning itself off and on over and over again. I didn't build my pc, I got it about 2 years ago from cyberpower.

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
Welcome to the forums :D

you may need a BIOS update to use the new RAM. check the MSI website about your board and see if any BIOS updates address RAM issues. I'm guessing yes.

triple and quadruple check the update process for your board. the manual with instructions is available from MSI if needed.

you are replaceing the units, not adding them together? mixing RAM is always a gamble and replacement of modules is the suggestion.

crushercam13

Prominent
Dec 26, 2018
Welcome to the forums :D

you may need a BIOS update to use the new RAM. check the MSI website about your board and see if any BIOS updates address RAM issues. I'm guessing yes.

triple and quadruple check the update process for your board. the manual with instructions is available from MSI if needed.

you are replaceing the units, not adding them together? mixing RAM is always a gamble and replacement of modules is the suggestion.
Yes I am replacing the old ones. So do I update the BIOS in the BIOS? If not, how would I actually access the website if I can't turn my pc on? Would you recommend putting the old ones back in just to do that?

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
replace with the older working units. check the site for BIOS updates. get the manual, read the process as laid out in the manual (every board is a little different - read the manual for certainty). download the proper file. extract the bin file from the zip file. follow update instructions. replace with new RAM and reboot.

a word on grounding
Canned Grounding Rant-
shut down system and remove side panel. with the power cable plugged into the PSU touch a bare unpainted metal area of the case. (my favorite spot is an unpainted screw securing the PSU) once you have grounded yourself you can unplug the computers power cable from the PSU and can touch the system.
if you move your feet, or shuffle in your chair, plug in the cord, reground yourself and unplug again.
end canned rant-

Reactions: crushercam13

crushercam13

Prominent
Dec 26, 2018
replace with the older working units. check the site for BIOS updates. get the manual, read the process as laid out in the manual (every board is a little different - read the manual for certainty). download the proper file. extract the bin file from the zip file. follow update instructions. replace with new RAM and reboot.

a word on grounding
Canned Grounding Rant-
shut down system and remove side panel. with the power cable plugged into the PSU touch a bare unpainted metal area of the case. (my favorite spot is an unpainted screw securing the PSU) once you have grounded yourself you can unplug the computers power cable from the PSU and can touch the system.
if you move your feet, or shuffle in your chair, plug in the cord, reground yourself and unplug again.
end canned rant-
Thank you! I will try this Friday for I am busy all day of tomorrow. I will let you know if this works.