• Now's your chance win big! Join our community and get entered to win a RTX 2060 GPU, plus more! Join here.

Pi Cast Episode 3 streams live on Tuesday, August 4th at 2:30 pm ET (7:30 PM BST). Watch live right here!

Catch Scharon on the Tom's Hardware Show live on Thursday, August 6th at 2:00 pm ET (7:00 PM BST). Click here!

Question RAM upgrade problems with my Laptop

99StefanRO

Reputable
Oct 25, 2016
Hello there!

So yesterday I bought a memory module from Kingston, the KCP424SS6/4, to upgrade my ASUS VivoBook X505ZA (Ryzen 2200u, Vega 3). My laptop only had the soldered, 4gb 2400mhz cl17 RAM so I went with the same specs. With the module installed, the laptop fails to boot, BSODs, sometimes can't even get past the ASUS logo, one time it froze in the BIOS setting. I thought the RAM stick might be faulty, so today I purchased a KVR24S17S6/4 stick of RAM (same specs). The same happens, but this time, with the KVR stick, it seems to BSOD more than with the KCR. Also, BSODs happen before even getting into Windows.

IQRL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO and SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED were the BSODs with the KCR.

Now, with the KVR stick, it also gets me to a BSOD that tells me that some files might be corrupt (everytime a different one). I can't get to boot into windows with any of them. Without the sticks, it works perfectly. I tried reseting the BIOS settings, draining the laptop by pressing the powerbutton without the battery. None of it worked, only removing the stick helped.

Well... is my laptop broken? Am I doing something wrong?

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS