RAM Upgrade Question

bou059697

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2007
Hi, I thinking of installing vista 64bit soon. My box has 2 gigs of Corsair XMS DDR2 800(2 x 1GB). I'm thinking of upgrading to 4 gigs and my question is whether i should just get (2 x 2GB) sticks with an eye towards future eventual upgrades or just get another (2 x 1GB) kit of the same memory I already have because it is cheaper.

I dont think that performance wise it will make much of an impact which way i go but i would like to hear your opinions. Thanks in advance. :D

Mondoman

Splendid
Hold off on moving to 64-bit Windows until you are sure that every component of your system (including BIOS, graphics card and its drivers, etc) is compatible with 64-bit Win. The extra RAM will help with 64-bit Windows, but you need to decide on your budget whether to wait for 2GB modules to become cheaper or not.

chookman

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
Personally id get the 2x1gb sticks... cause by the time your looking to upgrade again DDR3 will have come down in price and be the standard in which case your better with a new system again.

As mondoman suggests make sure every thing is compatible with Vista64bit, looking at your spec in post on my P5B deluxe i have had issues installing vista but i havent worked out if its the board or other hardware yet.

bou059697

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2007
thanks for your posts, i appreciate them. It will not be for awhile and theere is no way that i would install any piece of software or an OS without being positive that i know it will work.