RAM upgrade questions

_Angelo_

Reputable
Dec 3, 2015
Hi! I currently have 2x4gb DDR4 2800 installed, and I am planning to upgrade. My question is should I buy another set of the 2x4 I have to make it 4x4gb for the 16 gigs or go for a 2x8gb ddr4 set, which would be almost double the price? I am asking this due to the fact that I have heard that 2x8 is better. Many thanks!

Solution
By the time you need 32gb of system RAM, you are going to need a new platform because your current system will be getting pretty old. 16gb is enough for the life of your system. There are only a few workstation application that 32gb or more of RAM will benefit. Any additional RAM in your system will just sit idle doing nothing.
RAM can be finicky. Mixing and matching RAM, even of the same model does not always work. But that does not mean it wont work. I suggest trying to match the RAM you have and get 2x4gb sticks. Make sure you get it from a vendor with a decent return policy. Try it out and see if your system boots. If it does, you good, if not then return the sticks and get a 2x8gb kit.

Generally it is best to run 2 sticks of RAM in a dual channel board. It is cheaper and puts less stress on the memory controller. But it is fine to run 4 sticks.

By the time you need 32gb of system RAM, you are going to need a new platform because your current system will be getting pretty old. 16gb is enough for the life of your system. There are only a few workstation application that 32gb or more of RAM will benefit. Any additional RAM in your system will just sit idle doing nothing.

Solution