[SOLVED] RAM upgrade - Stick with what I have, or faster?

warewulf

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2006
Specs:
CPU: i7-11700F
RAM: 2 X 8 Team T-FORCE VULCAN Z 16GB 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200
GPU: Nvidia 3060ti

Used mostly for gaming. I've noticed my favorite game often uses 14.5 / 16GB. Even with everything else closed.

Option 1: 2 more sticks of 8. I can just buy two more sticks of 8GB for $63 on Newegg. Though if I do that, I won't have any slots available to upgrade in the future. Though not sure I will need to.

Option 2: 2 sticks of 16 and sell my current 16GB. With this option I could get faster memory. Not sure I'll notice any difference though. This will leave two empty slots in case I want to upgrade in the future.

Suggestions please.

Solution
Best practice is to stick with matched sets of RAM, however Intel is very good with mismatched sets and (typically) works well more often than AMD. With that aspect said, personally would probably go with the less expensive option for 32GB of matching (not matched set) RAM assuming you can find the same set as before.

Keep in mind and as mentioned above that this can result in issue, but find it to be pretty rare in the case of Intel. The 10th gen is the culmination of MANY architecture refreshes and is generally very forgiving on that aspect.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Best practice is to stick with matched sets of RAM, however Intel is very good with mismatched sets and (typically) works well more often than AMD. With that aspect said, personally would probably go with the less expensive option for 32GB of matching (not matched set) RAM assuming you can find the same set as before.

Keep in mind and as mentioned above that this can result in issue, but find it to be pretty rare in the case of Intel. The 10th gen is the culmination of MANY architecture refreshes and is generally very forgiving on that aspect.

Reactions: warewulf
Solution

warewulf

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2006
I figure I'd be pretty safe buying the exact same RAM I already have. Same color so it will match, etc. If it didn't work, I would just return it. I bought my PC in January, so figure this would be safe.

Though if I would benefit from faster memory, I would go that route. I'd probably buy Corsair 3600 or something similar. Then sell my old memory on Ebay or something.

Specs:
CPU: i7-11700F
RAM: 2 X 8 Team T-FORCE VULCAN Z 16GB 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200
GPU: Nvidia 3060ti

Used mostly for gaming. I've noticed my favorite game often uses 14.5 / 16GB. Even with everything else closed.

Option 1: 2 more sticks of 8. I can just buy two more sticks of 8GB for $63 on Newegg. Though if I do that, I won't have any slots available to upgrade in the future. Though not sure I will need to.

Option 2: 2 sticks of 16 and sell my current 16GB. With this option I could get faster memory. Not sure I'll notice any difference though. This will leave two empty slots in case I want to upgrade in the future.

Suggestions please.
If you don't mind going through the return hassle try opt 1.
Sometimes it works sometimes not.