Ram Upgrade wont Upgrade

crashpsycho

Honorable
Apr 25, 2013
sorry im really brand new to this webite so if im in the wrong spot please educate and i will fix.

Heres my issue my Computer wont Upgrade Past 4GB of RAM but there more to this than what im seeing and i dont have proper knowledge to find my solution nor have anythig ive found on the web or troubleshot for fixed it

Motherboard: Gateway ET 1161-03
Ram Upgradable to 8GB

trying to install 5Gb of Ram ive aquired thru an older(but newer) PC
1-Kingston 2Gb 2rx8 pc2-6400u-666-12-e1
1-Samsung 1gb 1rx8 pc2-6400u-666-12-zz
2-Hynix 1gb 2rx8 pc2-5300u-555-12
2-Hynix 512mb 1rx8 pc2-5300u-555-12

Now all of these are cross compatible meaning regard of what order i put then in the RAM slots it will boot but theres a trick
i cant use the kingston2gb+samsung1gb+(2) Hynix1gb(now the Hynix were the original RAM in the PC so they definitely work) together the PC wont boot past main splash screen description screen is very pixelated then goes Black-No repsonse to Keyboard commands nothing

But if i use the Kingston2gb+Samsung1gb+(2)Hynix512mb the pc will Boot without issue

Here is what the Crucial Website Says Click Here

so im tring to find out why it wont work or how to get it to work so i can use all 5GB of RAM
im not mr money Pockets so im just trying to use what i have

Thank for the further education

From your description of what your trying to do and what your using for ram sticks it looks to me like you have a triple channel motherboard because your trying to use 6 sticks of ram.
You are also trying to do something that is a known problem area and that is mixing and matching ram sticks. The reason that the computer won't start with all 6 sticks in is because the bios cannot get them all to work together and can't come up with a solution to have them all working.
Because of that you are very limited as to what you can do to get this to work and the one thing that I can think of for you to try is to put in the combination of ram that works so that you can enter the bios where you can raise the voltage to the ram a bit. Then shut sown and add the other ram to see if it will boot. You can also try overclocking the CPU a bit to get the memory controller to accept the ram. Raising the FSB is also an option and all these things should be tried seperatly at first to see if one of them will make a difference. You can combine them after if they don't work seperatly.

To be perfectly honest my best recommendation would be to put in the combination that works and then save up to get a set of ram that are all the same and will work together. I know you said you wanted to use what you have but what you have might not work no matter what you try and to compound things that type of ram is now not cheap because it is an old standard and is not made any longer.
According to the link that you provided it would cost, €65.99 inc. VAT* for the 4gb kit and it would match the Kingston and Samsung that you have or you could get two kits of the new ram and have 8gb. But that's a decision for you to make.

Try the steps that I said if you want and see if any thing makes a difference.

crashpsycho

Honorable
Apr 25, 2013

Thanks inzone i honestly thin your are very right about the mixing and Matching because ive read in several location that mixing and matching is not recommended and as far as change the voltage on the bios and stuff i have no clue where to find that kind of info if you wouldnt mind post a reference so i can get a better idea... Ill survive without the 1 gb atleast i got 4gb instead of 2gb now.

Thanks for the info..

Any changes in clock speed, settings and voltage is done in the bios, I realize that your computer is some what old but if you still have the user manual that would be a great help in telling you how to do this. There isn't much available on the internet to link to for this and unless you have experience with navigating the bios you'll most likely have problems.
If you have a friend or relative that has that experience you can have them help you and the thing you want to do is increase the voltage by .05v on the North Bridge chip on the motherboard. In the bios there are usually a series of tabs with different options on each page and the tab that you want is the advanced tab.