johanzy

Prominent
Dec 9, 2018
Hey! Right now I have 8 GB ram and I will upgrade it to 16 by adding the same one. So my question is do I need to make something to my computer or I just can install the ram on the slot, turn on the computer and everything will work fine? (I'm sorry if this question sounds dumb)

Solution
If you want to add more memory you have to ditch the old kit

No, you don't "HAVE" to ditch the old kit. The fact is that at JEDEC speeds, mixed memory stands a very good chance of working fine, especially if you add an identical part number. The majority of problems happen at XMP speeds and timings that are ABOVE the JEDEC standards speeds, which for Intel on Kaby lake is 2400mhz. Keep in mind though that SOME boards and chipsets might only support specific speeds, for H110 for example, that is generally 2133mhz.

That being said, it's correct that using mixed memory (And ADDING a stick, even if it is the exact same part number, IS the same as using mixed memory because there are never ANY guarantees unless you purchase ALL...

DavidM012

Distinguished
mixing memory that is not part of a kit may be glitchy incompatible even if same model memory is only guaranteed in the form sold.

If you want to add more memory you have to ditch the old kit and buy a new one if you don't want to risk glitches.

If you want to add more memory you have to ditch the old kit

No, you don't "HAVE" to ditch the old kit. The fact is that at JEDEC speeds, mixed memory stands a very good chance of working fine, especially if you add an identical part number. The majority of problems happen at XMP speeds and timings that are ABOVE the JEDEC standards speeds, which for Intel on Kaby lake is 2400mhz. Keep in mind though that SOME boards and chipsets might only support specific speeds, for H110 for example, that is generally 2133mhz.

That being said, it's correct that using mixed memory (And ADDING a stick, even if it is the exact same part number, IS the same as using mixed memory because there are never ANY guarantees unless you purchase ALL sticks together in one kit) can be a crapshoot but for the most part at speeds that are within JEDEC specifications most memory with the same specs will run together if there are not wildly different timings or voltages.

The recommendation is ALWAYS to buy a kit that contains the full amount of memory you wish to run, but for 2400mhz sticks I'd probably just get another identical part number. If it doesn't work automatically you can certainly make some adjustments in the BIOS to try and get them to work together or worst case scenario, return the new stick.

If you wish to avoid any possibility of that, then I'd just buy a full set in the amount of memory you wish to run and sell your current stick or save it for troubleshooting or use on another system.

These are all good reads if you wish to learn more.

*Resolving memory problems and setting up XMP/DOCP/AMP profiles

https://www.tomshardware.co.uk/ddr3-dram-faq,review-33220.html

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ddr-dram-myths,4155.html#p1

Last edited:
Reactions: johanzy
Solution