Question Ram upgrade

Nov 3, 2019
so basicly my system is a dell vostro 200 wich has 2 gb ram ddr2 and an intel e2160 and a nvidia 8600gs. so i have around 150$ and i wanna upgrade my system. im thinking of like 4 gb ram ddr2 and a good cpu and a decent gpu but idk if i should go for 8gb ram since ddr2 is cheap. help me please

-Alesio

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Options are very limited.
There really isn't much of anything you should do with that old system; it'll be a waste of money.
Save up to like $300-400 towards a brand new cpu/motherboard/ram/psu combo.

4GBs of ram is the max supported config for that system.

Nov 3, 2019
Options are very limited.
There really isn't much of anything you should do with that old system; it'll be a waste of money.
Save up to like $300-400 towards a brand new cpu/motherboard/ram/psu combo.

4GBs of ram is the max supported config for that system.
it will take a lot of time to save up that much since im just a kid with no job and i need a good pc, ive saved up all of that money for like 2 years

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
it will take a lot of time to save up that much since im just a kid with no job and i need a good pc, ive saved up all of that money for like 2 years
Not sure what else to tell you, but trying to upgrade a 13 year old PC is not a good start.
-The E2160 is a slow(1.8ghz) dual core cpu. Your 'upgrade' options are just more dual cores, and they're not what I'd consider fast anymore.
-4GB ram limit. When the OS alone can use up to 2GBs, it won't take much to bog down this system.
-Nvidia 8600 GS: You may be able to put a GTX 700 series or Radeon R9 series gpu in there, but it would all be for naught, since your cpu + ram would hard bottleneck it anyway.
-Power supply: An old system such as this has to be using a rather lightweight unit. It wouldn't be able to cope with a more modern gpu.