[SOLVED] Ram upgrade

juliettei09

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2012
I have a 5yo ASUS pc that currently has 12gb I5-4460 ram @ 3.2ghz. My motherboard is k30ad_m31ad_m51ad. Crucial.com is saying i have 2 slots and can max at 16gb ram. Its suggesting 2x 8gb ddr3l-1600 udimm (ddr3 pc3-12800) How does that compare to my current ram, is it much faster/better & does it mean i can order ANY pc3-12800 ram ? Sorry if stupid question. Thanks for advise & any good places to buy it ??

Solution
Impossible to say since you don't mention what the speed of your current RAM is; only that you have 12GB.

Download and install CPU-Z. Once installed, run the program and click on the Memory tab. Let us know what it says under DRAM Frequency. If it says ~400MHz, then you MIGHT notices a bit of difference. If it says, ~667 or ~800, then you probably wouldn't notice any difference.

does it mean i can order ANY pc3-12800 ram ?
As for your question about purchasing RAM, the answer would be no. The "L" in the list specifies "Low Voltage" DDR3 RAM. However, I'm a bit concerned because not all of the items listed on the Crucial site are low-voltage and UserBenchmark doesn't seem to imply that it cares what voltage RAM you use...

juliettei09

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2012
No, Im trying to see what i can get and weigh up cost and performance benefit. Im not sure how much better/faster these recommended sticks are. All i know is i do have to re-boot more and more & have seen ram spike more recently. So how do i compare i5-4460@3.2ghz to ddr3 pc3-12800 ?

Wolfshadw

Titan
Impossible to say since you don't mention what the speed of your current RAM is; only that you have 12GB.

Download and install CPU-Z. Once installed, run the program and click on the Memory tab. Let us know what it says under DRAM Frequency. If it says ~400MHz, then you MIGHT notices a bit of difference. If it says, ~667 or ~800, then you probably wouldn't notice any difference.

does it mean i can order ANY pc3-12800 ram ?
As for your question about purchasing RAM, the answer would be no. The "L" in the list specifies "Low Voltage" DDR3 RAM. However, I'm a bit concerned because not all of the items listed on the Crucial site are low-voltage and UserBenchmark doesn't seem to imply that it cares what voltage RAM you use.

If you can, see if there is a sticker on one side of a RAM module currently installed. If there is, it should list a model number. What is that number?

-Wolf sends

Solution

juliettei09

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2012

As for your question about purchasing RAM, the answer would be no. The "L" in the list specifies "Low Voltage" DDR3 RAM. However, I'm a bit concerned because not all of the items listed on the Crucial site are low-voltage and UserBenchmark doesn't seem to imply that it cares what voltage RAM you use.

If you can, see if there is a sticker on one side of a RAM module currently installed. If there is, it should list a model number. What is that number?

-Wolf sends

Hi
Yes, just downloaded cpu-z
type is ddr3 channel is dual and dram freq is 798.1mhz fsb:dram is 1:6
i know i have 12gb (not opened case)

So would pc3-12800 even maxing out at 16gb be much improvement ?

Thanks again